E Services ID.me

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
COGS  
I did not see a discussion and my continuing education did not mention it that I know of.

Does anyone have any comments on this new face verification process?

Am I grandfathered in?

FAQs for non-e-Services Applications
As of November 14, many of the IRS online services applications switched to a new authentication platform. New users for those applications will create an account via a trusted technology provider, ID.me, instead of the legacy IRS system. The IRS will transition all e-Services tools for tax professionals to this new sign-in system in the summer of 2022.

While e-Services applications won’t use this new identity verification process until summer 2022, you can get ready and set up an ID.me account now using Tax Pro Account or Submit Forms Online. You’ll be able to use your account across multiple IRS tools and at other government agencies that also use ID.me, as well as e-Services applications starting in summer 2022.

I already had an account but went ahead and setup an ID.me account earlier this month, because it is necessary after summer of 2022. The face verification failed for me and I had to request a video call in which I showed my driver's license and passport (other IDs accepted).

The ID.me account is more secure as far as registering and logging in. I setup two factor authentication on a mobile app and it requires that code every time I login.

If you already have an IRS account but have not registered for an ID.me account, you'll be unable to use your account starting in summer of 2022. The IRS website is clear about that.

If you have an existing IRS username, please create a new ID.me account as soon as possible. We're bringing you an improved sign-in experience. You won't be able to log in with your existing IRS username and password starting in summer 2022.

RuthC  
Will this ID change pertain to the PTIN login also? Or will we be able to do the same login without any changes?

COGS  
Ruth, I don't think it will. ManVTax above pasted in this: If you have an existing IRS username, please create a new ID.me account as soon as possible. We're bringing you an improved sign-in experience. You won't be able to log in with your existing IRS username and password starting in summer 2022.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
RuthC wrote:Will this ID change pertain to the PTIN login also? Or will we be able to do the same login without any changes?

I wonder about this too. Right now, renewing the PTIN requires a log in that is separate and distinct from the E Services account log in----so maybe this won't change. If the PTIN renewal starts to require ID.me, there is an option to renew by mail using Form W-12. It goes to a separate PTIN processing unit.

In case you haven't seen it, Brian Krebs has a good article on Id.me. The comments are worth reading.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/01/irs ... ne-access/

RuthC  
Thanks COGS and irc162 for that article. I haven't finished reading it, but it is really good info for me so far. Let's just hope this tax season goes better than what I think it will. Have a great week!!!

HowardS  
Very few clients of mine want to go through the process of setting up an IRS account.
Now multiply the time and complexity tenfold...
Retired, no salvage value.

RuthC  
HowardS wrote:Very few clients of mine want to go through the process of setting up an IRS account.
Now multiply the time and complexity tenfold...

Only 2 of my clients agree with setting up an IRS account. I won't say what the other clients said, except the 2 words that was the same for everyone was "NO WAY!!!". There are pros and cons to doing it. I understand why they decline to do it, but it would make our jobs so much easier when we need something. "Another day in paradise!!"

COGS  
Good news. I just set up my ID Me. It took about 10 minutes and was way, way, way easier than I thought. I had memories of the last time they increased the verification procedures and this was not a terrible experience.

RuthC  
That is great news! It must be a relief to have that chore finished!

Webster  
So is ID.Me used for every login, or only for an initial confirmation of identity?

You use ID.me to login every time. The old login feature will be unavailable starting sometime in the summer.

It was a hassle to setup for me, but it's more secure IMO than the old access method. It uses an authenticator app for 2FA instead of a text message.

Regardless, it's worth it IMO, especially for the self employed. You have a record of account payments, notices, and the ability to authorize a POA at your fingertips. I'll continue to advise my clients that it's worth it.

The Treasury Department is reassessing the Internal Revenue Service’s use of third-party facial recognition software ID.me for access to taxpayer accounts amid growing concerns about the company's privacy practices.

Bob A  
"(ID.me) CEO Blake Hall admitted in a LinkedIn post that ID.me uses Amazon's Rekognition technology to compare video selfies submitted by users to its own, bigger internal database of previous applicants." (Fox Business 1/28 /22)

JR1  
I'd suggest that everyone relax. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is going to get put on hold. From what I'm reading, this is a stretch that IRS made without regulatory authority and Congress will surely get some push-back. AND the concerns of this technology and database in the hands of a private, unregulated company should send some shivers.

Just my 2c.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Aside from privacy concerns---which do indeed send shivers----there is another reason to be concerned about ID.me. Haven't we all been told for years not to use the same login/password accross multiple accounts? So when your Id.me credentials are compromised, either through a breach or through some sort of phishing scheme, the miscreant will be able to access your tax return data, and perhaps file fake returns, your SSA data and maybe change your direct deposit info, your CA CDL info, and a host of other accounts. Oh---and they will be able to file for unemployment in your name in 27 states. Great.

And while I am up here on my soapbox, here is another thing. An IRS rep said they contracted with ID.me becasue a lack of funds prevented them from creating their own verification program. Seriously? So how much did they spend on ID.me? My 2 cents is that they would have been better off keeping the existing verificaton program (such as the old E services verification) and used the funds to hire (and train) more people to answer the phones. I get the old verification program wasn't perfect, but ID.me creates more problems than it solves, especially for senions, the disabled, and peoiple who don't have the means to have a computer with a webcam, a smart phone registered in their name (vs. a prepaid phone) and broadband access.

Having created an account, I am concerned about the security of this platform and the IRS requiring us to use it. I won’t go into my experience here, but it raised grave concerns.

I think our professional associations need to demand a clawback.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Yellowdog wrote:Having created an account, I am concerned about the security of this platform and the IRS requiring us to use it. I won’t go into my experience here, but it raised grave concerns.

I think our professional associations need to demand a clawback.

Yes...I think the potential for professional liability should be a concern too. What happens if we encourage our clients to open an account and something goes wrong? What if the client then says that they only opened the account because we told them to do so? In our world, finding someone to blame for a loss is the name of the game....and we are the ones with insurance.

Frankly  
I am concerned about the security...

The limited security of the old password method is far more dangerous than this new ID thingy.

JR1  
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Next

Return to Taxation