W-4/Withholding Issue

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
irc162  
Account Deactivated
My client wants to reduce her withholding. She is married, and the couple has only one income. She filled out a new W-4 showing that she is married filing jointly in Step 1. In Step 2, she left everything blank. She did not check Box C. In Step 4, she requested $325 in additional withholding per paycheck. I did a gross to net calcualtion in the CFS W-4 software and also checked the calculation using ADP's online payroll net pay calculation tool (the client's paycheck is issued through ADP). Both Federal withholding amounts came out as expected. When the client actually got her check, her Federal withholding was $400 higher than expected. On the paystub, it indicates that the "higher optional withholding table was used". What triggered that? I thought that table was only used if entries were made or Box c was checked in Step 2?

I asked my client to check with her HR person to find out why the higher optional withholding table is being used and how to make it stop. She is not optimistic about getting an answer. If you are familar with ADP payroll or otherwise know what is going on here, I would appreciate it if you would advise me on how to fix this. How do I get ADP to withhold using the regular withholding table instead of the "higher optional withholding table"?

Return to Taxation