Swapping a gift in same calendar year

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Client transferred a large sum of money to child's trust during 2021, but later in the year, they removed some cash and transferred in stock, all for the same amount/value.

Is this allowed? If so, I assume we just report the net cash amount and stock as current year gifts? thx

MilesR  
It depends on the trust. Some trusts allow asset swapping. Usually it's to swap in high basis assets for low basis assets in order to get the step-up on the outside when the grantor dies. If it is a swap then I don't think you need to report anything because it isn't a gift - it's a swap.

Nilodop  
Not a gift (or a sale/exchange) if grantor trust. Treated effectively as same person.

Nilodop wrote:Not a gift (or a sale/exchange) if grantor trust. Treated effectively as same person.

Ok, but a transfer to a IDGT is reported on a gift tax return.

Also, I learned that the IDGT allows for "swap" power.

Correct. The cash gift gets reported as such on a 709. And because the IDGT is a DRE an equal-value swap is not a taxable event for income or gift tax purposes.
Steve

MilesR  
The swap is not a gift because the transfer received full and adequate consideration - as in he transferred in stock and then received "adequate consideration" back. Just the initial gift of cash is reported. Although it needs to be properly documented that a swap occurred.

thank you all!

Return to Taxation