Is it always preferred to send copies of all notice response

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Is it always preferred to send copies (not originals) of all completed and signed notice responses to CA FTB?

More specifically, I am helping some clients out right now with responding to CA FTB Notice of Proposed Assessments which require the CA FTB Quick Resolution Worksheet to be completed, signed, and mailed.

Is it always preferred to make a copy of the completed and signed CA FTB Quick Resolution Worksheet and send the copy (not the original) to CA FTB?

Frankly  
In the old days my grandfather would use his typewriter for correspondence. For important communications he would draw a sheet of carbon paper out of the drawer and a second sheet of paper and rolled all three into the typewriter. The carbon copy was kept so he had an exact copy of his correspondence. (Xerox had not yet been invented.)

What would be the purpose in keeping the original and mailing off the carbon copy?

OP, this will work...

Before you seal up the notice response, scan it to PDF. Save the PDF in the client's files. Mail the original. Scan the certified receipt to PDF and save that as well.

If it's just a form that someone signed I always send the original if possible. Because if something bad happens they can always sign a new one, and you have a copy of the previously signed one. The only time I'd be hesitant to send originals of something is if a new "original" can't be recreated and may be needed in the future.

You want to avoid a situation of the taxing authority saying a filed document did not comply with requirements because by the time you get that response you may be outside the window to resubmit.

Good suggestion, scan to PDF. And if you don’t have a scanner, go to App Store and get an app called GeniusScan. It’s free but does have a nominally priced paid version. You use your cell to carefully take a photo of the page(s) and it creates a PDF file.

Return to Taxation