Donation of Business Assets

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
HowardS  
S-corp client is closing his office and wants to donate his fully depreciated furniture to Habitat. Holding period greater than one year.
I think I'm correct in saying his charitable deduction will be limited to his adjusted basis, correct? Zero?
Is there any way to get a tax benefit from these donations?
Retired, no salvage value.

sjrcpa  
Correct - donation is limited to basis.

CathysTaxes  
I would think that the shareholder can distribute the assets at FMV to himself and then personally donate it. SCorp experts?
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Nilodop  
Absolutely he can, thereby trading an item of gross ordinary income in exchange for getting a charitable deduction if he itemizes.

HowardS  
Right...zero tax benefit.
Retired, no salvage value.

Nilodop wrote:Absolutely he can, thereby trading an item of gross ordinary income in exchange for getting a charitable deduction if he itemizes.

Yep, which potentially provides less than a wash if he doesn't itemize. Increased income with no increase in add'l deductions.
~Captcook

I dealt with a very similar issue on an S corp taxpayer who wanted to donate obsolete inventory to Habitat. I think there's a lot of misinformation regarding the superdeduction rules of general inventory that apply only to C corps.

CaptCook wrote:
Nilodop wrote:Absolutely he can, thereby trading an item of gross ordinary income in exchange for getting a charitable deduction if he itemizes.

Yep, which potentially provides less than a wash if he doesn't itemize. Increased income with no increase in add'l deductions.

This is absolutely correct.

Return to Taxation