Efiling amendment"

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
taxcpa  
I'm pretty sure I am overthinking this, but interested in whether others agree.

Working with a client whose previous preparer made errors in both 2019 and 2020. The returns were filed on paper. 2019 was not signed and eventually returned for signature. It shows a filing date of April 2022. The 2020 return was also filed on paper and does not show as filed on the transcript.

According to the IRS FAQs for efiling amended returns, the following applies:

"If amending a prior year return, and the original return for that year was filed on paper during the current processing year, then the amended return must be filed by paper."

Am I correct that the current processing year is 2022 and that both 2019 and 2020 are/will be processed in 2022, thus making taking efiling the amendments off the table? Pretty sure than answer is yes.

All my prior efiled amendments have involved original returns that were efiled timely. I haven't seen a paper filed return in years.

Return to Taxation