EIN Application

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
MilesR  
AB trust situation. Applying for an EIN for the decedent's trust - aka first grantor spouse died and a new decedent's trust is created and is irrevocable.

The input section for the responsible party says to enter the info for the person with control over the trust. In this case, I would think this person would be the trustee. But when I get to the review of the application, this input for the responsible party shows as being the grantor. So my question is, who should I really put here?

Should I ignore the IRS instruction that says to enter the responsible party who is the person in charge of the trust and instead put the grantor info, or should I put in the trustee's info as the responsible party and let the application list this trustee as the grantor?

I'm leaning toward putting the deceased grantor in the responsible party section so that will be listed as the grantor, but I'm not sure if that will cause issues down the road where the IRS thinks this deceased grantor is the one to talk to as the "responsible party."

MilesR  
Update: Looking at the actual form SS-4 instructions instead of the instruction on the online application, it says to list the grantor of a trust as the responsible party. So that's what I plan to do. It just seems odd that the "responsible party" is deceased.

Return to Taxation