e file fail, name issue

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
JAD  
Client's name is Sharon Smith Jones. Smith Jones is her last name. I have filed this way for several years.

Now Lacerte says the name is being truncated and won't let me e-file. I changed her name to

Sharon Smith
Jones

And now I have a fatal error that the name control does not match what is at Social Security, so return is rejected.

This has never happened to me - what is the resolution?

irc162  
Account Deactivated
You might want to try writing her last name as: SmithJones without a space. I get this problem once in awhile and that sometimes works---but I can't recall whether it worked with Lacerte or Drake.

It's 1st 4 letters of last name Smit. Try post 2 with at least Smith

Not sure how to resolve but I'm telling Sharon Smith Jones :D

JAD  
Thanks for the quick replies. "Smithjones" still gives me the critical diagnostic that the name is too long.

I've sent an email to her to see if she cares if I butcher her name. Otherwise, we will have to paper-file.

Is Sharon married? If not, not sure why that's too many characters. If yes, I think the limit is 35 characters including spaces for both names combined, which includes "[space]&[space]" between the names. Usually the tax software will do this for you because the MeF rules provide for specific changes, in order, to the name line to get down to 35. There's an MeF handbook that the IRS puts out, I think they talk about it in there.

(I'm so disturbed that I know this information. I don't even prepare returns.)

I had one client married where Drake said name to long to e file so it shortened wifes first name to just her initial. On 1040 printed both names in full. No issue with e file.

JAD  
atxsaltax wrote:Is Sharon married? If not, not sure why that's too many characters. If yes, I think the limit is 35 characters including spaces for both names combined, which includes "[space]&[space]" between the names. Usually the tax software will do this for you because the MeF rules provide for specific changes, in order, to the name line to get down to 35. There's an MeF handbook that the IRS puts out, I think they talk about it in there.

(I'm so disturbed that I know this information. I don't even prepare returns.)

That is funny that you know that data. Total # of characters with spaces, including both names, is 38. This used to work fine. I will see if I can find the MeF rules. Thanks.

TAXMASTER wrote:I had one client married where Drake said name to long to e file so it shortened wifes first name to just her initial. On 1040 printed both names in full. No issue with e file.

Maybe that's what Lacerte has done in the past. It's not doing it this year.

Thanks again for all responses.

JAD  
In case it is useful for the next person: What finally worked was S Smith Jones. Thanks again for the help.

Return to Taxation