Elections and Credits required to be made/clamed "on time"

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I have some clients that will not file their 1040 tax returns on time and it makes me nervous.

One asks that I file the return anyway and amend later, but I don't think this is OK to do because I'm signing a return as a preparer that I know not to be true, complete, and correct etc.

One of the tax returns has a large NOL and some corporate and solar credits.

Also, there is the concern of non-US accounts, of course, but the client does not have any.

In this instance, it's totally the clients fault as he waited until just now to sort out his crypto trades and he disagrees with the results of the software that shows a large gain (of course). I have been urging him to take care for for months and not wait until the last minute.

Am I correct to refuse to file an incomplete tax return?

Is there somewhere, or does anyone have, a list of all credits and elections that expire on the deadline?

The NOL election to carry forward is gone, right? It's always carried forward now, correct?

Does anyone have a good disclaimer for this?

What do you think about these things?
Last edited by ItDepends on 3-Oct-2022 12:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjrcpa  
ItDepends wrote:Am I correct to refuse to file an incomplete tax return?

Yes. You might consider the materiality of the missing items and whether a reasonable estimate could be used. But for the crypto client, I'd wait until I and the client have good numbers.

Return to Taxation