IRS EFILE SHUTDOWN

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
In a previous post, one respondent stated that a taxpayer may get a refund faster if they waited until efile opens back up in January rather than mailing it in now. I am thinking that would be correct. I would like to know what you guys are doing, i.e. mailing or holding for efile?

Thanks.

JR1  
I don't have any to do, well, shoot, I have one amended. Yeah, if it's a refund....I'd wait. She'll owe, so might as well just mail it.
Jeff
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

sjrcpa  
In a refund situation, I'll wait til January and efile.

Wait, paper filing at this point is pretty much pointless unless the penalties for not doing so are going to be substantial... I just had a paper filed amended return for a 2017 return we filed in 2021 get their check fairly recently after waiting about almost a year and a half...

In Illinois if you have an overpayment to be credited to the next year they will not apply it to next year if the return is filed after 12/31. They will apply the overpayment to the tax year in which the return was filed. This is about the only instance where I would mail the return now rather than waiting to e-file.

Thank you guys for confirming my thoughts on this. Have a great holiday season.

Return to Taxation