Amending Tax Return to Reduce Medicare Premium

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Dbertke  
With everything going on in 2021, we filed a record number of MFS returns this past tax season. I admittedly got a little carried away and suggested some clients who are a retired couple on Medicare file separately as they would have some significant tax savings. In the heat of busy season and with everything else going on, I did not consider how these separate filings might impact their Medicare premiums (lesson learned).

In my research, it appears that it is possible to file an amended joint return and ask for a recalculation of the Medicare premium. Has anyone had any luck doing this in the past. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes.

However, Medicare won't listen to anything until you can verify that the IRS has received the amended tax return.

The IRS just a few days ago stopped accepting e-file individual tax returns. So you'll have to either file on paper, or wait until they start accepting returns again in January. Either way, you'll be waiting for months for the IRS to realize that the have an amended tax return.

Return to Taxation