LLC elect S-Status, followed by conversion to S-Corp

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Wiles  
I have a CA LLC (taxed as a partnership) that wants to convert to an S-Corp for both tax & legal purposes. I am wondering if it makes a difference if we either:
1. Convert LLC to Corporation and immediately elect S-Status.
2. Elect S treatment for the LLC then convert to corporation.

The potential problem with #1 is that for, tax purposes, this is treated as a liquidation of the partnership followed by a capitalization of a corporation. While, I don't anticipate any hidden tax traps on these two transactions, I would like to avoid it.

Would #2 avoid this?

Nilodop  
The potential problem with #1 is that for, tax purposes, this is treated as a liquidation of the partnership followed by a capitalization of a corporation. . I did not know that. I thought it would be treated as formation of a corporation under 351.

Nilodop  
Would #2 avoid this?. I think #2 would be treated as a 351 followed by an F reorg. #1 is easier. Same result.

Wiles  
Thank you.

I thought it would be treated as formation of a corporation under 351.
Yes. Formation and capitalization of a new corporation under 351. This should be tax free as tax basis in assets exceed debt.

Also, the liquidation of the LLC partnership should not be a problem because the two partners are getting 50% of everything - no special allocations of distributions.

Wiles  
Can we avoid having to change their EIN by doing one or the other?

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-bu ... -a-new-ein
Limited Liability Company (LLC)
You will not be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.
*An LLC that already has an EIN chooses to be taxed as a corporation or as an S corporation.

Corporations
You will not be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.
*Conversion at the state level with business structure remaining unchanged.

I think No. The legal business structure is changing at conversion.

Nilodop  
The thrust of my posts above was triggered by your use of "convert" in OP.

I nw nothing about EIN rules.

Hi, Wiles,

The first sentence of your quote sounds like the instant situation to me. So I don't think a new EIN is appropriate when an LLC taxed as a partnership elects S status.

I'm a little confused by your use of the word "convert" -- because it has two meanings. One is converting to S status and the other is filing articles of conversion with the Sec'y of State.
Steve

Wiles  
The “convert” part of my question is the one you do with the SOS. Change the legal entity to a corporation.

This question is related to my ESOP question. From my understanding, in order to use an ESOP, the entity must be a corporation.

Nilodop  
From my understanding, in order to use an ESOP, the entity must be a corporation.

Are you sure of that? See Private Letter Ruling Number: 201538021, June 18, 2015.

Wiles  
Outstanding! Thank you, Leonard.

357 might be a concern

Nilodop  
Yes, 357(c), but see this in #4 above. This should be tax free as tax basis in assets exceed debt.

Return to Taxation