Information Return Intake System (IRIS)

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Joan TB  
The IRS is working on a system that will allow folks to electronically file their Forms 1099 for free. You can register as an issuer (only for your business) or as a transmitter (filing for your own and others).

The system is called the Information Return Intake System (IRIS) and is not intended to replace FIRE, but apparently will supplement it for now. Geared toward smaller users, users can file electronically without separate software. You can submit 100 forms per batch, (but I don't see a limitation on how many batches you can do.)

Per the IRS:
As a result of Section 2102 of the Taxpayer First Act, the IRS is launching an online portal that will allow taxpayers to electronically file both small and large volumes of Forms 1099, according to Mankowski. "The new portal, known as Information Return Intake System (IRIS), will launch in January 2023 for tax year 2022" he said.

Information about the new portal, including how to sign up is in Pubs 5717, 5718, and 5719. BUT - on page 4 of Pub 5717 it says "ALLOW UP TO 45 CALENDAR DAYS FOR APPLICATION PROCESSING." I don't know if the portal application processing is even active yet.... so I wouldn't count on it for 2022 forms.

Lalva  
Can someone please give me the login page for the IRIS portal? I am searching in the IRS website and everywhere and for the life of me I cannot find the URL address. The IRS information page says that it will be ready by mid January but I cannot find it. I am reading the Pub 5717 and there is no address either. It mentions the "Taxpayer Portal", but when I login my IRS personal account there is nothing there, and it's not in the e-servicies account.

My application was accepted and I have the TCC number.

Please help!

Is there advantage to this because it is now free?
I've asked before, but the online softwares allow you to efile without the TCC, correct? so if you have lots of 1099s you're preparing, then you are cutting your cost i guess

leuler  
It's still not open from what I can see. I applied for a TCC on Jan 5 and was approved just over a week later. Hopefully it will open by the end of Jan. I'm only saving a few bucks anyway.

Lalva  
leuler wrote:It's still not open from what I can see. I applied for a TCC on Jan 5 and was approved just over a week later. Hopefully it will open by the end of Jan. I'm only saving a few bucks anyway.

You are right. I will only be saving a few bucks. I don't prepare a lot of 1099s and I pay around $4 each contractor. Oh well! I like to save money when I can.

I am not sold on the idea of using an IRS system. If you pay a software provider or online service and they mess up, you have someone to hold responsible. If the IRS messes up, you are reliant on them agreeing that they have and making it easy to obtain relief. How many clients say “ The IRS said you didn’t do something. They MUST be right!”

As I transition my payroll clients to SurePayroll, I am using an online service, including for mailing W-2’s. After a few days, they hadn’t been mailed. It was easy enough to e-mail customer service and get a helpful response.

leuler  
For information, the IRIS website shows that IRIS opened today to submit 1099s. I have not used it yet.

I tried to apply for a TCC on the new IRIS application yesterday, but ran into trouble with "users". I am the only owner/employee of an S-corporation. The application required two "responsible officials" and "contacts". I added my husband as he is technically the secr/treasurer of my corporation per bylaws. I still couldn't submit the application because all users were required to have an e-services account, which my husband doesn't because he's not a tax preparer and has anything to do with my business. Anyone else run into this issues? Have any thoughts on how to get around this? Thanks!

The IRS isn't going to mail a copy of the 1099 to the recipient are they?

This system seems pretty useless for those who file volume, like many on this board.

It makes way more sense to pay a platform like track1099 for the all-inclusive service, rather than save a few bucks per form (that can be passed along to the client) only to have an admin staff print 1099s, address envelopes, place the 1099 into the appropriate envelope, stamp them, and run them to the post office. AND, pray they *only* made a few mistakes due to all the human touch points that were introduced into the process.

How much are you really saving after the postage, the admin costs, and the cost of errors? Seems penny wise pound foolish.

WBR  
ddspetersen wrote:I tried to apply for a TCC on the new IRIS application yesterday, but ran into trouble with "users". I am the only owner/employee of an S-corporation. The application required two "responsible officials" and "contacts". I added my husband as he is technically the secr/treasurer of my corporation per bylaws. I still couldn't submit the application because all users were required to have an e-services account, which my husband doesn't because he's not a tax preparer and has anything to do with my business. Anyone else run into this issues? Have any thoughts on how to get around this? Thanks!

Is there a work around for this issue?

JAD  
ddspetersen wrote:I tried to apply for a TCC on the new IRIS application yesterday, but ran into trouble with "users". I am the only owner/employee of an S-corporation. The application required two "responsible officials" and "contacts". I added my husband as he is technically the secr/treasurer of my corporation per bylaws. I still couldn't submit the application because all users were required to have an e-services account, which my husband doesn't because he's not a tax preparer and has anything to do with my business. Anyone else run into this issues? Have any thoughts on how to get around this? Thanks!

Thank you for this information! I won't waste my time....

leuler  
WBR wrote:

Is there a work around for this issue?

I have a single member LLC that is taxed as a S-Corp, and there is an option on the dropdown for single-member LLC that I was able to use. I haven't seen a workaround if you are a S Corp directly, but there is if you're an LLC taxed as S Corp.

I had some issues using IRIS system on Safari, but switched to Chrome and everything was good.

WBR  

Is the only the only workaround for the applicant to choose Single Member LLC (or Sole Proprietor) on the first page of the application even though they are not?

Return to Taxation