c corp with debt needs to file final return

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
TP has a c corp and it was dissolved in 2020. He still filed 2021 tax return and want to file 2022 as the final return.
Can he file 2022 as final return or he need to go back and amend previous return as final?
If the form 966 has dissolution date in 2020, can he file 2022 as final return at all
When the corp dissolved, it still had outstanding debt and won't be able to repay it. How to handle that? If he can not negotiate with creditors for a reduction or cancellation of debt, what are the other options?

CathysTaxes  
If the creditors cancel the debt won't the corp realize COD income? I believe he can file 2022 as final but shouldn't the final return wait on the disposition of outstanding debt? When he obtained the debt did he sign as the corporation or himself? Bankruptcy is an option.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

CathysTaxes wrote:If the creditors cancel the debt won't the corp realize COD income? I believe he can file 2022 as final but shouldn't the final return wait on the disposition of outstanding debt? When he obtained the debt did he sign as the corporation or himself? Bankruptcy is an option.

Thanks. The debt is owed by the corp.

Bankruptcy would be a waste. Corporations don't get discharges in chapter 7.

It's hard to justify the cost of preparing any corporate returns in this situation.
Steve

Return to Taxation