Expenses Prior to Renting A New Property

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
My understanding from different readings (code sec 266, etc.) is that ordinary expenses such as utilities are not deductible before a rental property is made available for rent. The property, a single-family house, was purchased in mid - 2022, but necessary permits (for say, airbnb) to legally establish rental use were not obtained until early 2023. However, what I am unclear about are real estate taxes, mortgage interest, expenditures characterized as repairs by the client, insurance, legal and permit fees that were all incurred in latter 2022. My question is which of these categories can be capitalized in 2023 along with the purchase price and which are not deductible at all under the circumstances.

Thanks. Helpful. Still a bit nebulous but I have a much better understanding of it. Repairs look to me to be improvements here. And thus, that applies to all ancillary costs so long as they are in any way related to improving the place. The only thing for sure is no deductions are allowed in 2022.

Return to Taxation