CPA signature on a paper filed return

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Probably a stupid question, but I don't see what I want to see on the internet.
Can I use an electronic signature for myself to sign a paper return? Or may be an image of my signature, or numbers?
Or the CPA needs to physically sign the return?
Thank you.

I looked for this the other day, and couldn't find anything as it relates to signing a paper filed 1120-S. I've successfully electronically stamped my signature on a paper-filed return which appeared as if it was a scan of my wet signature. I've done this many times with POAs.

Just don't make it obvious. What they don't know won't hurt them?

JR1  
I sure hope CPA signature isn't required or I've got thousands of bogus returns out there over three decades.

CPA is NOT equal to tax pro.

But then, the actual requirement is for a paid preparer, which can be an unemployed auto mechanic with TT, or a student in the dorm, maybe a cellie in the joint paid with ciggys.
Last edited by JR1 on 21-Mar-2023 9:19am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

I write so little these days that my signature has become absolute garbage. I tend to use a signature stamp on paper returns.

I also have a transparent PNG signature file I insert in certain documents. You can't tell the difference because it was generated through a physical signature on a tablet and even has slight streaks in it like a small marker or large pen may have.

Regardless, the IRS has deemed the TYPE PRINT name in the signature field counts as paid preparer's signature. Stupid, IMO, given the other mandates they place on signatures vs. what qualifies as a legal signature under ordinary law.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:Regardless, the IRS has deemed the TYPE PRINT name in the signature field counts as paid preparer's signature. Stupid, IMO, given the other mandates they place on signatures vs. what qualifies as a legal signature under ordinary law.

Agreed...I discovered this last year. Just absurd.
~Captcook

Preparer name typed in signature block has been an acceptable signature for 15 or so years. Prior to that I had the program insert my name in a script font to look like a signature.
Dave

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. ~ Mark Skousen

Still, completely absurd and stupid. The basic concept of a signature is what you regularly use to legitimately represent yourself in signature form. Only the IRS really tends to dictate the manner in which it is accepted. I could use a smiley face as my signature under common law, but IRS would reject it.

How do you know unless you try?
Steve

We we saying that having our software print our name in the signature field is appropriate for a paper filed return, but not an electronic stamp of our signature? Is that correct?

CaptCook wrote:
CornerstoneCPA wrote:Regardless, the IRS has deemed the TYPE PRINT name in the signature field counts as paid preparer's signature. Stupid, IMO, given the other mandates they place on signatures vs. what qualifies as a legal signature under ordinary law.

Agreed...I discovered this last year. Just absurd.

Thank you

CornerstoneCPA wrote:I write so little these days that my signature has become absolute garbage. I tend to use a signature stamp on paper returns.

I also have a transparent PNG signature file I insert in certain documents. You can't tell the difference because it was generated through a physical signature on a tablet and even has slight streaks in it like a small marker or large pen may have.

Regardless, the IRS has deemed the TYPE PRINT name in the signature field counts as paid preparer's signature. Stupid, IMO, given the other mandates they place on signatures vs. what qualifies as a legal signature under ordinary law.

Thank you very much!

Think again.
As a matter of administrative efficiency, it's far easier to process every return than it is to decide whether signatures are valid. If there are competing returns, so be it.
Steve

Return to Taxation