Co-personal representativse - do both need to sign?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
CO CPA  
If letters testamentary indicate co-personal representatives, are both PRs required to be listed and sign the 1041?

The co-PR with my client is the estate attorney. She said he told her he had to be the co-PR because she was a non-resident of the state in which the estate was probated.

sjrcpa  
No. At least I have never had both sign and all my 1041s with 2 PRs or Trustees have been accepted.

However, MD requires the signature of both on the MD Estate Tax Return.

I suspect you are misinterpreting the attorney's opinion -- because it's absurd that he would be a co-PR, unless that was in the will or your client -- I assume she is an heir -- agreed.
Steve

CO CPA  
CO CPA wrote:If letters testamentary indicate co-personal representatives, are both PRs required to be listed and sign the 1041?

The co-PR with my client is the estate attorney. She said he told her he had to be the co-PR because she was a non-resident of the state in which the estate was probated.
gatortaxguy wrote:I suspect you are misinterpreting the attorney's opinion -- because it's absurd that he would be a co-PR, unless that was in the will or your client -- I assume she is an heir -- agreed.

I felt like an idiot because I assumed the co-PR was client's brother. She doesn't have a brother. It was in fact her attorney, I talked to him today. Super weird. He sent her an email that she was good to sign the tax returns without his involvement.

I did some quick research and did not find a requirement in Colorado law that PRs must be Colorado residents.
Steve

CO CPA  
gatortaxguy wrote:I did some quick research and did not find a requirement in Colorado law that PRs must be Colorado residents.

I agree. It doesn't compute but estate is closed and all is done.

Return to Taxation