Amended Parthership 2011 1065X E-file?

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Need to submit an amended 2011 1065 using Lacerte Software. The only forms that change are the K-1's (partner's share of losses did not match the partnership agreement and need to be corrected). Assume you submit the return electronically (the Form 1065X is complete), and attach the original Form's K-1 someplace in PDF format (marked "Copy Only - Do Not Process"). Am I close to being right? I am tempted to just have them mail a paper return, but if it can be e-filed I will learn how to do it.

Wiles  
Why send original K-1's?

I would not mark them Copy Only...I would mark them "As Originally Filed"

I used Lacerte in the past and there was a place to attach PDFs like that...I used it to attach late filed 2553s. Unfortunately, I use ProSeries now and can't tell you how to do it.

Joan TB  
Lacerte for 1065 - see Screen 4-Electronic Filing. At the top of that screen is the "PDF Attachment" button. I mark the copies of the original K-1 as "As Originally Filed-Support for 1065X"

I used to mark them "As Originally Filed" also. The 1065X Instructions now say to write in "Copy Only - Do Not Process". As I catch up with the real world of e-filing, I realize I did not e-file the original return. Maybe that is controlling and I need to amend with a paper return?

If you're hell bent on e-filing, then why don't you just e-file it without any further debate.

I must say, I was quite confused when you used the term "1065X." I had to look at the form and its instructions, because I always believed that to file an amended partnership return, you use Form 1065 and check the "Amended return" box.

Now that I've read some of the Form 1065X instructions, it appears that you can only use this form if you are NOT filing the form electronically. Under the heading "Purpose of Form," it says, "Use Form 1065X, if you are not filing electronically ..."

Am I missing something?

Ckenefick wrote:If you're hell bent on e-filing, then why don't you just e-file it without any further debate.

I filed the original return on paper. Was that not clear in the OP? Not sure if I can follow with an amended return. Have you had your coffee this morning?

No, I don't drink coffee.

Was that not clear in the OP?

Yes, but so what?

If Lacerte permits you to amend a 1065 electronically, then why don't you just do it?

I'm working on a 1040 right now, do you think I should e-file it or paper file it? Let's have a debate about it...

DaveFogel wrote:I must say, I was quite confused when you used the term "1065X." I had to look at the form and its instructions, because I always believed that to file an amended partnership return, you use Form 1065 and check the "Amended return" box.

Now that I've read some of the Form 1065X instructions, it appears that you can only use this form if you are NOT filing the form electronically. Under the heading "Purpose of Form," it says, "Use Form 1065X, if you are not filing electronically ..."

Am I missing something?

How would e-filing negate the requirement to attach copies of original forms that changed? I am learning here, have never done this before.

Ckenefick wrote:No, I don't drink coffee.

Was that not clear in the OP?

Yes, but so what?

If Lacerte permits you to amend a 1065 electronically, then why don't you just do it?

I'm working on a 1040 right now, do you think I should e-file it or paper file it? Let's have a debate about it...

I am just getting back in to public practice this last year after nine years out. I just started e-filing returns in 2012 for 1040's. I am clueless with whether or not to e-file or paper file an amended return. I could read up on it for hours on end, but people here are so nice and knowledgeable (sarcasm).

Honestly, there is no reason I can think of this 1065X needs to be filed e-file. I know if you do more than so many returns you are required to e-file or get the tp's authorization to paper file. If the 1040 you have is a refund return then maybe e-file would get the cash turned around quicker?

I guess my overall question is if the SOL is open, and whether or not you filed the original return e-file or paper, can you choose either method to amend?

Joan TB  
It is generally accepted that an efile return WITH an electronic deposit will get you a 1040 refund faster. Amended returns are generally not guaranteed a quick turn-around, and since this is a 1065 changing the K-1, not a factor for that issue.

I have never heard of anything that says whether or not the method of filing the original return has any bearing on your choices for filing the amended return. So I think you can ignore that. However, as for reasons to efile vs paperfile, a good reason for efile is the accuracy for input into the IRS database. I have worked with IRS notices where the problem stemmed from manual input errors of the paper return, not errors on the return itself. So from an accuracy viewpoint, efile is better. (my 2 cents)

WEISSEA  
" Under the heading "Purpose of Form," it says, "Use Form 1065X, if you are not filing electronically ..."

Agree with Dave. Per Proseries instructions: Form 1065X is only for paper filed amended 1065's. If e-filed one justs checks the 1065 p1 box G5 "amended return".

Joan TB wrote:It is generally accepted that an efile return WITH an electronic deposit will get you a 1040 refund faster. Amended returns are generally not guaranteed a quick turn-around, and since this is a 1065 changing the K-1, not a factor for that issue.

I have never heard of anything that says whether or not the method of filing the original return has any bearing on your choices for filing the amended return. So I think you can ignore that. However, as for reasons to efile vs paperfile, a good reason for efile is the accuracy for input into the IRS database. I have worked with IRS notices where the problem stemmed from manual input errors of the paper return, not errors on the return itself. So from an accuracy viewpoint, efile is better. (my 2 cents)

That makes sense to me. I think I am going to e-file this one. Gotta start someplace. Thanks Joan. Also, above posts helped me sort out some of my confusion and as always that is much appreciated. Also, I checked the IRS site for guidance today, and as usual when you need I could not find anything that would help with this question.

Joan TB  
Did you read the instructions for Form 1065 and 1065X? Page 1 of the 1065X instructions say to follow the guidelines for 1065 about who MUST file 1065X electronically. Page 3 of 1065 instructions say that certain partnerships with over 100 partner have to efile, most others have a choice. So which group are you in?

If you file on paper, use Form 1065X. If you file electronically, use 1065 with the "amended return" box checked. I would assume that your software will make this choice automatically once you tell it what you are doing - a) an amended return and b) paper vs efile.

Not sure where you looked on the IRS website, but the form instructions are a pretty basic place to start. Use the index at the back to find things quickly.

Joan TB -

OK, I will re-read the 1065 X instructions. I missed that all on the first pass. There are three partners therefore I think we could probably do either.

Return to Taxation