State Wages showing on Form W-2

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
Bbla  
Former Client works for a company headquartered in Florida. Client worked in Louisiana and New Jersey during the 2013 year for this Florida company. The W-2 did not show any state wages paid. I called the Florida company and asked the payroll person why the state wages were not showing on the W-2. The company payroll person stated that they were not required to show the states wages on the W-2 and that she would not issue a corrected W-2. The payroll clerk did email me the state wages earned in Louisiana and New Jersey. According to the payroll person, the company did pay the states L & I, employment taxes, etc. Client chose not to file a tax return in these two states. There are other employees, that work in various states, who have received W-2s that do not show state wages. I cannot find a requirement that state wages are required to be disclosed on the W-2. Comments?

Send the employer a copy of NJ-WT? Although it has occasional cites to NJ statutes, I don't see specific cites for non-resident withholding and reporting, just the instructions asserting the requirements. Thus I don't know if there are any exceptions for incidental employment in the state (e.g. paying an employee to give a talk at a conference, when the employer has no other business connection to NJ).

I'd expect something similar for LA, but I'm less familiar with their tax system and web site.

Return to Taxation