Self-employment tax

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
I'm relatively new to tax prep and a CPA, and am slightly embarrassed to say this topic confuses me, but am hoping someone can help. I will use a simple example below.

$100,000 (Net Earnings from Sch. C)
$92,350 (multiply above # by 92.35%)
$14,130 (multiply above # by 15.3% = Self-Employment tax to Form 1040)
$7,065 (multiply above # by 50% = above the line deduction to Form 1040)

Question 1: Why multiply by 92.35%? Is this basically saying that as the employer (of yourself) you are entitled to deduct 7.65% below the line?

Question 2: I am confused on the math. Almost seems like the benefits outweigh the taxes. Am I looking at this right?

+$7,650 benefit (benefit right off the bat from multiplying by only 92.35%)
+7,065 benefit (above the line deduction)
-$14,130 tax
= $585 benefit

David  
Do you understand the difference between deductions and credits? The above the line deduction of $7,065 doesn't save the taxpayer $7,065 in tax because it's not a credit. If the taxpayer was in the 28% marginal bracket that $7,065 might save them $1978 in actual tax. It'll vary depending on ... a lot of stuff.

The $7,650 benefit by only multiplying by 92.35% is only a benefit in the sense it reduces the self-employment tax. It doesn't affect the income tax - they're still including $100k net income in the income for calculating federal income tax. So $7,650 saves them 15.3% of $7,650 in dollars or $1,170.

So you'd potentially have something like $1978 benefit $1,170 benefit $14,130 cost = $10,982 cost. Varying from taxpayer to taxpayer.

aharry  
This may or may not clarify the intent of the calculation:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/00-0275.pdf

Jake  
I understand the theory - but really - any tax program does the math for you.

It may be helpful to think of self-employment as being both employer and employee, and keep in mind how payroll taxes work.

In a job-job (W-2, employee) the employer contributes half of the payroll tax: 6.2% of salary/wages up to the current year's Social Security Wage Base, plus 1.45% for Medicare. The employee pays the same amounts, you see that on the pay stub and W-2. For most people, meaning those who don't earn more than the Wage Base, that adds up to 7.65% each, 15.3% total - which is why that's the SE tax rate, because remember SE means you're both employer and employee. [If you're not familiar, the Wage Base is an inflation-indexed amount of salary/wages/SE income that is subject to the 2 X 6.2% Social Security Tax. Google it to see what it is for different years.]

An employee isn't taxed on the employer's portion of the payroll tax, meaning the 7.65% of wages that the employer sends off to the feds on your behalf, out of its own pocket. You don't pay payroll tax on that money, and you don't pay income tax on it either.

To make the SE tax similar - avoiding tax on the "employer" half the SE tax - Schedule SE has you multiply net income from self-employment by 100% - 7.65% = 92.35%. Even though a grade school level math student can tell you that isn't exactly correct as an adjustment. It's close enough I guess - that way you aren't paying SE tax on the SE income that goes straight to the feds as the "employer" half of the SE tax. Then, you take the above the line deduction for half of the SE tax on 1040, so you don't pay income tax on it either - just like being an employee.

As for whether benefits outweigh the taxes, that depends on how much Social Security you and your spouse eventually collect, and how much you rack up in medical expenses covered by Medicare. As others mentioned it certainly doesn't net to a benefit if you just look at the current-year cash in & out.

makbo  
"An employee isn't taxed on the employer's portion of the payroll tax, meaning the 7.65% of wages that the employer sends off to the feds on your behalf, out of its own pocket. You don't pay payroll tax on that money, and you don't pay income tax on it either."

Just as importantly, neither does the employer pay income tax on it.

"Then, you take the above the line deduction for half of the SE tax on 1040, so you don't pay income tax on it either - just like being an employee."

And employer. The point is, no one pays income tax on the employer half of FICA tax.

Yes, it is all very confusing. And probably deliberately so.

Jake  
In regard to "The point is, no one pays income tax on the employer half of FICA tax".
That is true for federal tax, and perhaps for most states' income tax, but in Ohio the city income tax on Sch C income does not provide any adjustment for the employer half of FICA tax nor for the self emplpoyed health insurance.

Noobie  
Jake, Ohio is getting set straight on double taxation by cities via their supreme court...

Hi Everyone,

Thank you all for your replies. I read through each one and it makes sense now. Sometimes you just need to step away from the computer and come back with fresh eyes before things click!

Thanks again

atlascpa wrote:Thank you all for your replies. I read through each one and it makes sense now.

It does not make sense, it is a bug. If they replace the 92.35% with 92.89% then it will make sense.

PS: I independently discovered the problem ( viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20284 ), I did not find your post and dave829 pointed out to me.
Please consider visiting this post where my question at the end has not been answered yet:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12065, thanks!

Return to Taxation