Latest phishing scam

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
MRTax  
Just FYI we received a "Flash E-mail" from Spidell on Wednesday warning of the latest e-mail scam. Since then I've received 3 of these such emails. The sender emails asking for services. The email addresses look semi-legit but the email body is full of typos and has been referencing 2017 taxes. Here's the text from the Spidell warning:

"Solicitation for services may be a scam (01-11-17)
The IRS is warning tax professionals of a scam that is disguised as a solicitation for services from a new customer. (IR-2017-03) This scheme usually has two steps. The first step is the initial contact asking for tax preparation services, and if the tax professional responds, the second step involves the "customer" sending a PDF or embedded web address. The scam attempts to collect information from the tax professional, such as e-mail addresses and passwords.

The IRS noted that many times these e-mails will look like they are coming from a trusted source, because the source itself has been hacked. Tax professionals must be extra cautious about engaging with a new client via e-mail. In addition to not clicking on any links or attachments from an unknown sender, make an attempt to independently verify the sender's identity and tax preparation needs."

JR1  
Got one yesterday, from a purported Doc. Font was odd...just didn't look legit. I deleted it...
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

TaxDude  
I got one too.

IRS wants you to forward the email to them at phishing@irs.gov

Received one too. I just forwarded to the IRS, thanks for reminding me.

They sent a follow up one that was the exact same. "Taxes Inquiry/New Client"

Did not look right and when we did a google search there was nothing matching his name. Said he was on vacation with the family and we could exchange emails before setting up a proper appointment. Made a point of telling me he is a good client with no IRS debt

EADave  
I got an email a few years ago but it was from another practitioner in a local EA group whose meetings I once attended. It was convincing, he was on vacation and needed some money because he was robbed, etc. So I called him and he informed me his email was hacked and all was well (no robbery).

Be careful, and just to be safe, I always format my hard drive at least once a week (don't do that).

I keep getting fake emails from the IRS "alarting" me about my PTIN. I usually ignore clients, known and unknown, on my emails. They can call if it's important.

CreditMyDebit wrote:I keep getting fake emails from the IRS "alarting" me about my PTIN. I usually ignore clients, known and unknown, on my emails. They can call if it's important.

I have received this same IRS PTIN "alart" (the subject of the message includes the word alert spelled alart) several times over the past few days.

taxea  

JAD  
In January, client received a notice regarding a $9k tax refund due to him. He called the number to get more info. The person wanted him to prove his identity by providing the normal info, including SSN. He hung up and called me. We reviewed prior returns and agreed that no refunds were due.

On his own, he called the FTB and IRS to confirm his accounts were in good standing.

In Feb, he called the number again and said that everyone said his accounts were in good standing. He was told that the tax authorities had tried to deposit the refund, and the funds had bounced back. She said that they now had his money because his tax preparer used Drake software. (I use Lacerte).

My client is smart, and his comment was that this is a pretty sophisticated operation. The woman he spoke with in Feb had record of the Jan phone call. The website looks legit. My client has reported the scam to TIGTA and the IRS. Stay alert.

Return to Taxation