QBO Bank feed

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
juro  
Bank feed-->Batch button-->Accept Selected only five transactions maximum?

Need to include 1000's of transactions into QBO using Bank feed. When i select more than five transactions, then go to use Batch button, the Accept Selected option is grayed out, so it is not available. What do i do?

When I select fewer than five transactions at a time, the Accept Selected option is now black, so it is available. :?: :?:

EDIT: i know why. if any "match" is selected, the Accept Selected option will be grayed out.

cp_acwt  
From the gear menu in the upper right corner of QBO select "import data" under "tools" Click on "bank data" In there it will show you the types of files that QBO will import. You should be able to download from the bank a compatible file for any time period you need.

juro  
sure wish QBO had a "replace" function like MS Word. My bank feed was sloppy. Need to set up rules.
spent a day fixing most transactions for weird stuff. This client is new, so i had no idea.
Too many personal charges. expenses going into payroll accounts, fixed asset accounts, etc. vendor name field is just blank.

Start off by deleting all rules and create your own as you go so you know they are correct. Those damn rules create nothing but problems in the hands of people that do not have a clue about using accounting software, which encompasses most people.

It is the bank that limits how many transactions can be imported, not the software. Some banks allow you to go back months, others 90 days, some only 30. You'll have to try to find a way to download them in a Quickbooks Web Connect format for the periods you need...but, I have seen banks limit that availability, too, so I had the fun of manually entering everything for missing time periods.

"so I had the fun of manually entering everything"...I'd rather start there than try to go back and fix what a bank feed has done especially as OP says, there are thousands of transactions involved. Post #3 is a good example of why I discourage bank feeds.

Had an interesting conversation with the tech person at one of our local credit unions the other day. They had a major overhaul and in the end the bank feeds weren't working. We met up at a local luncheon and were talking about it, I told her I'd give thumbs up to keeping it not working and that I never recommend bank feeds to my clients and why. She was shocked and said she had never thought of any of the points I made. I wonder how far spread that same thought process is.

juro  
actionbsns wrote: I wonder how far spread that same thought process is.

thanks for that. :D

Joan TB  
To fix old entries missing from bank feeds (or to by-pass bank feeds entirely) has anyone used the "excel import to QB" option? I have used this for Lacerate which is also an Intuit product, and it worked pretty well once you figured out your excel file layout. Might be easier than manual input, since you can use excel's sort & copy/past functions for data. Supposedly QBO can import from excel also.

I agree - bank feeds done by clients are horrific.

juro  
now i need help:

Select CSV transactions for import

The date format you chose doesn’t match the date format in the CSV file. Either select another format or correct the dates in the CSV file to continue.

?? :?:
also, why no field for name of vendor?
QuickBooks Online fields
Your statement fields
Date

Description
Amount

EDIT: it works now, I deleted a row in the CSV file, missing a value for the date field.

juro  
hi,
new problem.

the CATEGORY OR MATCH field has a value of Uncategorized Income for each record.
also, when i batch Accept Selected, all expenses go into QBO as bank deposits.

My rules are not working?
Have anyone imported a CSV bank statement and found banking rules not working?

under Reviewed tab, the RULE field is blank.

juro  
today i downloaded a file named ofx.qfx from AMEX.
now the rules i set up in QBO work. :?: :?: :?:
https://online.americanexpress.com
Download Card Activity
Billing Statements
Documents
Quicken
QuickBooks
CSV
Financial Management Tool: Quicken®

juro  
all my amounts are going into the QBO field RECEIVED.
why all Money In? these are all expenses, or Money Out. :?: :?:

makbo  
It's nearly impossible to provide any help here without actually seeing the same screens that you are seeing. Have you tried your local accounting or tax professional organizations? I would be very surprised if the issue is that QBO doesn't work.

juro  
just seems weird how when a .csv file is used from AMEX, the default account is income. when i click on the record, it is a bank deposit. And QBO will not allow me to correct it, that is, change it to an expense.

a month ago, i was able to import data from a .csv file from AMEX, and at least everything fed into expense default accounts.

did i get lucky the first time?

juro  
The bank rules are all new, because I set them up myself this time. The last time I i did a bank feed, a month ago, I did manage to get all the transactions fed, with only a few missing records.

But the bank rules were from before my time in this office, and they all did the same thing, set everything to a default expense account. And I spent weeks correcting a few thousand records since, so I deleted those old bank rules.

Now I'm getting all kinds of weird stuff. Bill Payment, values that I used in previous months, etc.
Maybe I should try a bank feed without any bank rules.

makbo  
juro wrote: And I spent weeks correcting a few thousand records since, so I deleted those old bank rules.

In the Accountant version of QB desktop, it is possibly to perform batch updates of transactions using the "Client Data Review" feature, not sure if it is available in QBO or not. Not sure of your particulars, but I'd wager there is some method other than hand updating every individual transaction.

Return to General Accounting