General Question about Etiquete

Software. Marketing. Training. Running your business.
Hi everyone,

I am a new hire and start in January. I wanted to send everyone at the company a holiday greeting and wasn't sure if it was acceptable since i haven't actually started yet. I've only met a few of the people that work there over the phone and during video calls.

What are your thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

CathysTaxes  
I like it but how are you going to get their home addresses?
Cathy
CathysTaxes

sjrcpa  
I think it's a nice, friendly gesture.

Acceptable?

I think that's a wonderful idea. I've made it a habit to send handwritten cards to a good number of my clients for a number of years. I space them out over the year and try to connect it to something meaningful in our relationship. Clients really appreciate it. I have no doubt future colleagues will as well.
~Captcook

Thank you everyone for your quick responses! I was thinking about emailing them since I don't have their addresses. Do you think it's a bad idea?

TaxNewbie wrote:Thank you everyone for your quick responses! I was thinking about emailing them since I don't have their addresses. Do you think it's a bad idea?

Having been on the receiving end of it many times, I am going to take the opposite viewpoint and say don't do it. I personally find it annoying when new hires reach out to existing people at the company before they are actually able to meet them in person or have a formal introduction of same manner.

In light of Cornerstone's comment, I think there is some value in being thoughtful about the execution. Be genuine.
That said, some people aren't going to connect with you in this way. Since you don't know who those individuals are, I wouldn't be too worried about them. Those who do respond positively outweigh those who don't, IMO.
~Captcook

Thank you all; your responses are very helpful. Happy Thanksgiving!

novacpa  
I agree with CornerStone, here. Having worked in Big Regional Firms (Tax Partner) I would avoid taking up Partner's time with nonsense. Avoid being viewed as a - slobering suck-up.
Your goal is not to offend anyone who will evaluate you.
Show up early, short hair military cut, no facial hair, dressed in black/dark gray suit, white shirt with-tie shoes neatly polished.
No power ties, single knot Windsor.
No ear phones - playing iTunes.
Old School looking guys survive - hippsters get dumped after their 1st tax season, or sooner.

Prove yourself by working your tail off. There are no downsides to that - you’ll grow professionally exponentially faster than those who don’t.

Nothing will impress anyone, including yourself, better than that.

I am an old fogey so bear that in mind as you read this. I am a great believer in, if possible, being formally introduced before making conversation.

Put another way, I think you have to know the person. Years ago, I worked at a firm where the secretaries all kept a supply of birthday cards for the 40-50 partners and staff. I have never been one for cards and certainly not birthday cards. Now, that may sound like I am a dour, boring, humorless old git. Nope. My humor is just very dry and very Scots. So, on my birthday one year, I got to my desk at the end of a long corridor and there was the usual pile of cards. One that I opened was from the receptionist. It was a sympathy card.

Return to Business Operations and Development