Encription of PDF file- e-mail

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
ICOUNT  
What program is suggested to encript a tax return PDF file with password protection to attach to e mail? What is approximate cost---it seldom comes up but it would be good to be available

makbo  
None. Two reasons: first, it is bad security if you have to provide a password to someone else (including password hints). Passwords should never be shared. Second, a password that can't be changed is next to useless.

You'd be much better off using a secure file exchange portal. That way user manages their own password, and there are audit logs. You are also better off with masking the SSN and birthdates shown on the return, so as to minimize the confidential info in the first place.

HowardS  
I use CutePDF Editor. It's free. Realize that it is only as secure as sending any encrypted password protected file over email.
It does allow the recipient to change the password. "Secure" portals can be hacked too.
Retired, no salvage value.

JR1  
I've used Bullzip, free, and also Cute as Howard does. Once you figure out how to do it, pretty easy. No worries about Makbo's concerns since you don't SEND the pw...you use some form of their SS# or something that they already know. Easy peasy.
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

makbo  
JR1 wrote: No worries about Makbo's concerns since you don't SEND the pw...you use some form of their SS# or something that they already know.

That's far worse than sharing a password. Shared secrets are not passwords, and we all know how many people it takes to keep a secret -- 3, as long as 2 are dead.

makbo  
JR1 wrote:you use some form of their SS# or something that they already know. Easy peasy.

What I love about your approach, is that a spouse in a pending divorce situation, or maybe a business partner, could intercept the attachment you send to your client, the taxpayer, and open it. Value of encryption? Valueless.

I started using encrypted e-mail and file exchange to send/receive confidential documents. ShareFile is what I use...very easy and there is a plug-in for MS Outlook where you can encrypt/decrypt e-mails at will. Clients either need a link or an account to access the encrypted e-mail (YOU control those settings). You can also set up shared folders and restrict access, as well as a secure file exchange on website. I still use the tax ID as the PDF password, but I decided it was time to spend the money and step up my security by only using encrypted e-mails for sensitive information.

ATSMAN  
Your tax prep software may have an option to password protect and encrypt the pdf and then send it as an attachment. You tax software may also allow you to mask SS#. As long as you take reasonable precautions you are ok. Law does not expect you to be perfect and have a 100% fool proof method.

ATSMAN wrote:Your tax prep software may have an option to password protect and encrypt the pdf and then send it as an attachment. You tax software may also allow you to mask SS#. As long as you take reasonable precautions you are ok. Law does not expect you to be perfect and have a 100% fool proof method.

True to "reasonable precautions," but I do not trust UT or FileCabinet's PDF protection. As far as I can tell, it is simply a password and NOT encrypted, even though PDFs can be encrypted at file level. This is why I still utilize the password protection from my programs, but step it up by encrypting the entire e-mail that contains confidential/sensitive information and/or attachments.

Andee  
I use AppRiver's encryption solution, CipherPost. I've been very pleased with it for the last 4-5 years that I've used it https://www.appriver.com/services/email-encryption/. ShareFile is another solution used by many firms.

Return to General Accounting