Very basic accounting entry questions

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
First of all, I have to clarify that I do not provide bookkeeping service. Through the years, I have forgotten most of the debit/credit journal entries that I learned in college. Therefore, I am going to ask two very basic journal entries questions here. Please be bear with me.

(1) When a shareholder takes salary from a S-corp, do we credit 'cash account' and debit 'wage expense'?

(2) When a shareholder takes distribution from a S-corp, do we credit 'cash account' and debit 'retained earnings'?

CathysTaxes  
2). Credit Cash Debit Shareholders Distribution.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Agree with Cathy, debit distributions account. The distribution account would be part of the equity section on the balance sheet, and at year end, I close current year distributions into retained earnings (or AAA).

Andee  
Agree with others. On the wages, you'll journal those the same as any other wages, although I normally have a separate G/L Acct for shareholder wages. Debit wages, credit the tax liability accounts for FWT, FICA, SWT deductions and credit cash for the net paycheck amount.

Andee wrote:Agree with others. On the wages, you'll journal those the same as any other wages, although I normally have a separate G/L Acct for shareholder wages.

As do I. Makes it easier when preparing tax returns, plus for overall business management.

Keyad22  
I think we have two answers here! Which one do you agree with?
Debit to Salary expense or debit to shareholder distribution?

We usually Debit: Salary -Shareholder/Officer
Credit: Cash

1. Usually, the shareholder is also an officer of the S Corp. This $ will show up on 1120S page 1 line 7, form 1125-E will be attached.

2. Have you ever re-classify prior shareholder distributions as shareholder wages and/or employee reimbursements sometimes? We did.

Joan TB  
Keyad22 - there are two answers because there were initially two separate questions. I don't think there was any confusion in the responses. Salary goes to salary, distributions go to the equity section.

Keyad22  
Thanks, Joan.
I just skip several lines from the beginning and total misunderstood there're two different questions!

Return to General Accounting