Best Way to Transfer QuickBooks files

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Does anyone know of a good "foolproof" method to transfer QuickBooks files between a client and the accountant?

I have one client in particular that has been problematic. We've tried the standard sending of backups, but the client has screwed up the restore on multiple occasions. We've also tried the QB accountant's copy transfer, but the limitations (such as not being able to adjust payroll liabilities) are untenable. We've also tried QB Online, but the payroll functionality is not strong enough for the client. So I'm stumped... any ideas?

Joan TB  
One option is to use GoToMyPC or something else similar. Let's you work on the client's computer the same as if you were sitting there. (But if the internet connection is dicey, can be a pain.) You can get your own login for their QB files. I frequently schedule my work on a client's computer after hours, so I don't disrupt their workday. Others may not want to do that, but I am OK with it.

makbo  
Joan TB wrote: I frequently schedule my work on a client's computer after hours, so I don't disrupt their workday. Others may not want to do that, but I am OK with it.

Same here, including weekends in "after hours". Or, if your client can afford to be without access during the day, temporarily move their company file so they can't open it locally while you are working on your copy.

But I still use a remote control program (TeamViewer) on the client's machine so I can transfer and restore the file myself.

That's a great idea... and simple, too. The good news is that I rarely work in the file when the client needs to -- that's why the backup transfer worked well (until we had to rely on the client to restore it properly).

I'll double check their internet connection.

I use an inexpensive but pretty decent system called ConnectWise. It is similar to TeamViewer, LogMeIn, etc. I can have perpetual access or just on-demand by having the client enter a code.

LogMeIn is the best I have used over the years, but it has become prohibitively expensive. I also do not like that I cannot tailor it to my branding.

JR1  
When doing file transfers, I give the client the ytd profit figure that should match to. If they don't, stop! They restored incorrectly. That's solved that problem. I still have a client or two who can't handle it, and most of them I'm getting to via LogMeIn now...but it's a bit pricey. I build it in to their fee....
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

MEMCPA  

that's why I've switched most of my clients to either QBO or hosted Quickbooks. But I still use Teamviewer or ShareFile for one way transfer to me with other clients who for whatever reason won't switch.

Biggest problem I have with hosted is my tendency to directly correct their entries instead of using aje's. Bad habit. A few times I've had to log at the audit log to undo what I did :(

Return to General Accounting