ACAT

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
So my job description has expanded to include supervision of some accounting functions. I am, therefore, keen to get some good-quality education. Doing the CPA exam, for a variety of reasons, is not a viable option.

In addition to accounting CPE from the same people that provide tax courses, I had considered doing the ABA credential from ACAT. I have written to them a couple of times with basic questions and have yet to be afforded the courtesy of a response. So, before I moan at them over the 'phone, I thought I would ask here for views on whether this credential will be worth anything. Yes, I know the EA credential is hard enough to market v the CPA, but I am more interested in knowing if the education is likely to be of value. Or would I be better simply seeking out good-quality CPE and forgoing another three letters after my name?

LW25  
Never heard of it. I had to google those two abbreviations to discover that "ABA" apparently stands for "Accredited Business Accountant" and "ACAT" stands for Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation, the organization that offers the "ABA."

Wikipedia has a short article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accredite ... Accountant

As noted in the article, the laws of some states would not allow a non-CPA to use a designation like "Accredited Business Accountant". In such states, the ACAT apparently offers an alternate "credential", the "Accredited Business Advisor."

EDIT: And, unfortunately, I have no knowledge of the extent of the quality of the organization's education courses, so I'm not of much help!

LW25  
SumwunLost wrote:[ . . . ] Or would I be better simply seeking out good-quality CPE and forgoing another three letters after my name?

My two cents worth: You've identified the better approach.

Part of the problem with "credentials" is that every Tom, Dick and Harry has set up shop, claiming to be qualified to dole out "credentials". For example, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has compiled a list of over 180 different supposed "credentials" that sometimes are attached to the names of "financial professionals". Check it out:

https://www.finra.org/investors/profess ... signations

The CPA and EA designations are in the FINRA list.

However, I notice that the "Accredited Business Accountant" and "Accredited Business Advisor" are not included. FINRA does not render an opinion on the usefulness or validity of the over 180 credentials described in the list.

In terms of the number of credentials specifically for tax expertise or specifically for accounting expertise, I guess it's not that bad -- yet.

Thanks for the responses LW25. I am inclined to figuring out what good-quality CPE will look like. However, assuming N.C. survives Florence the NCSEA fall CE event is next week. I know there are a few NSA members who are also EAs, so I may get a different perspective. Don’t let that stop anyone else chipping in, though.

Return to General Accounting