CPA License Experience Question

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
mlntax  
Hi All,

I'm looking for a state that will accept my 9 year old work experience to qualify for a CPA license.

I have been an accountant for 19 years but recently passed the CPA exam in Georgia. The experience requirement has changed and now require recent experience that was earn within 1 year of applying for your license. I worked in industry accounting for 10 years, under various CPAs. For the last 9 years I have worked as a self-employed accountant. All my educational and exam requirements have been met but I'm looking for a state that accepts "old" experience. Any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

I've spent weeks reading the fine print for each state and have not come across the exact verbiage.

If not, I may have to sell my business and become an employee. :shock:

Thanks in advance.

JAD  
I am sorry. Ridiculous barriers to entry. I don't have an answer for you, but I hope this works out for you.

novacpa  
I think you have to establish "residency" in a State before applying for a CPA License.
Your 2nd issue is then - transferring from that State into Georgia.
I recall Colorado was a easier State to qualify, as well as Mississippi.
Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

makbo  
mlntax wrote: For the last 9 years I have worked as a self-employed accountant. [...] If not, I may have to sell my business and become an employee.

Why? What has changed after nine years?

dsocpa  
There is a firm. Mobility law that has currently passed in several states. It likely will in MD soon.

I would try to keep in your home state if you could. Have you contacted the state Board in GA about the experience criteria? You might have all you need. Otherwise, I suggest you contact your state Society or Association of CPA’s. Many times they can guide you because they keep on top of what’s going on with licensure for their members. If you aren’t a member I would strongly suggest you become one. The AICPA is great but they focus on a national level not local.

Joan TB  
Makbo, I think OP is saying that he would have to get a job "working under the direct supervision of a CPA" in order to meet his experience requirements because it is not "current", which may require him to become an employee somewhere rather than continuing in his self-employed practice.

For example Texas says
The current requirement is one year of full-time non-routine accounting work experience under the direct supervision of a licensed CPA. --- Work experience must be gained under the supervision of a CPA who is responsible for supervising, evaluating and reviewing your work.

makbo  
Joan TB wrote:Makbo, I think OP is saying that he would have to get a job "working under the direct supervision of a CPA" in order to meet his experience requirements

I'd still ask, "what changed?" Why the need for a CPA credential now, when it wasn't needed for the existing established business? I don't have an answer, I'm just curious as to what led to the question. If all that is wanted is representation practice rights before IRS, less restrictive to become an EA.

Joan TB  
Makbo,
a) OP finally accomplished his goal of passing the CPA exam and now wants to complete the process to actually BE a CPA. If this has always been his goal, but it just took a really long time to get it done, personal satisfaction may be his driving factor. He will need the recognized experience requirement to finish the process.
b) OP has been a "self-employed accountant" for 9 years. Not being a CPA probably means that there are things he cannot do unless he is one. (In Texas, he could not call himself an accountant.) Perhaps he wants to expand beyond or outside tax.

dsocpa  
I agree. After going through all It takes to pass the CPA exam. Sounds like the experience requirement really shouldn’t be an impediment in this case.

novacpa  
I've seen some State Boards of Accountancy require certification that the "resident" worked a full 40-hour week, and
of those 40-hours, 28-hours were "auditing" and "inventory was observed/counted". Signed by the supervising licensed CPA.

dsocpa  
mintax I would ask the question "how man hours exactly" to qualify as 1 year direct supervision.

From the MD site under FAQ - GA should have something similar;

"I do not have a CPA at my company. What steps can I take to get my hours verified and endorsed? Do I have to be working for a CPA firm? If there is a CPA firm that audits our firm, can I get them to endorse me since they are aware of the work I do?
Yes, you could ask the CPA firm that audits you if the CPA could endorse your work. If necessary you can also ask a colleague if they are willing to endorse your work.

The "Report of Practical Experience (RPE) form" states at the top "Minimum of 2,000 hours of experience obtained within the three years immediately preceding this application is required for licensure."

makbo  
Good to see that guilds are still alive and well in the 21st century! ;)

novacpa  
malbo..it's like Medicine - Medical School - Internship - Residency - Fellowship.
But, if you didn't get into Medical School - you don't get the letters after your name.

Joan TB  
DSOCPA - looks like Georgia requirements are more stringent than Maryland. (Texas also requires direct supervision by a currently-licensed CPA.)

•▶1 year (2,000 hours) of public accounting experience
•▶Non-public accounting experience is allowed but there are stringent guidelines for what is acceptable. Please refer to the Georgia CPA Work Experience guide
•▶Must be completed no more than 1 year immediately preceding the date of application
•▶Work experience must be supervised and verified by an active US CPA

It also says
Self-employment experience shall not be considered qualifying experience.

You probably need to spend some $$$ and talk to an attorney. Probably one in Atlanta. Find a firm with 50-100 partners, Their minimum retainer to get started will be high.

They may know someone who will help you with the experience requirement.

j3cpa  
I see that you owe a firm.

Do you have any relationship with local CPA? I think you can contract work under their supervision, such as doing audit work for them while running your firm. Would this be okay to satisfy your state’s experience?

Also. Certain state’s board allow industry experience as well as governmental to get certified. maybe your board will have the same discretions. I think your best bet is talk to them directly, And good luck with that! In my experience, it’s hell dealing with them....

Return to General Accounting