Quickbooks online and unable to change sales tax rate

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Andrew  
After clicking for about an hour through article after article, video after video, ... there's still no article that explains how to do change the sales tax rate. Client uses QBO Simple start. Sales tax has already been set up but the rate needs to be changed. I set acctg method to accrual. There's literary no place to change the rate. I click on "Taxes" and a tax agency shows up. I click on edit and all I can change is the "filing frequency" and the "start date" but that's it. Do I just delete the agency? That seems about the only option ... I hope anyone has dealt with this.

cp_acwt  

Andrew  
Thanks but that's the article I have read and have also seen the video. I need to know how to change the sales tax rate in QB Online Simple Start. It's been set up. I'm not even allowed to set up a new agency in CA. I was hoping that would do the trick. It looks like client set sales tax up with "automated sales tax" which calculates the wrong rate. And also seems to prevent you from correcting it.

IIRC, the automated sales tax determines the rate by the delivery zip code, which may be why you are seeing incorrect tax rate. One of my clients did the same thing. Eventually I found a way to override it, but it was months ago and I do not recall the process. QBO is truly a PITA--as another CPA I know worded it, "QBO is, sadly, the best in a sea of ****."

Andrew  
Thanks. I think that may be the issue. Client didn't put in an address for her customer. Agree with PITA. It's designed for people without accounting knowledge and gives them the illusion that you don't need to know anything. Unfortunately, our job now has become to fix the program's inflexible automation instead of doing the accounting and the books.

Return to General Accounting