Scam e-mail? "QuickBooks Renewal Alert"

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Wiles  
Anybody else receive an e-mail from <intuit@qb-billing.com>. I am 99% sure it is a scam. There are no links. Just the phone number. I Googled the phone number and nothing comes up related to Intuit.

As a QuickBooks Desktop customer, we want to let you know that your subscription has to be renewed on 13th Dec 2019, for another full year of service. However, your card/Account on file didn't go through.

Please call us and update your information In order to use QuickBooks and the services.
Reasons for subscription payment failing
Your payment didn't go through likely due to one of the following reasons:
• The card is over the limit.
• The card has expired.
• The account number is invalid.
• The card has been listed as lost or stolen.
• The card-issuing bank will not authorize the card electronically.
• The card was declined, with no other information provided by the processor.
Note: Until this issue is resolved, you will be able to view your data for a limited time, but cannot edit it.

You can call us @ 1-888-626-0448 Toll-free number to renew your services for QuickBooks.

Here are some features you will enjoy with your renewed subscription:
• 24/7 dedicated customer support from QuickBooks experts. Call (1-888-626-0448) Toll-free number
• Extra protection of your QuickBooks data with automatic back-ups and recovery services
• Hassle-free upgrades to the latest features
Please take a moment to review your account information to ensure there is no delay in your subscription renewal. If you need to update your account or payment information, please log in to your account.

Thank you,

The QuickBooks Desktop Team

makbo  
I haven't seen such an email (but haven't checked this morning's in-box yet). I am a ProAdvisor, so in that sense I have a "subscription", but one clue that your message is bogus is the part about "you will be able to view but not edit your data". QB Desktop is a perpetual license, no subscription required. (There are add on services, such as payroll, online backup, accountant copy transfers, and so on that stop working after 3 years unless you upgrade to a newer version). I do get email alerts when my annual ProAdvisor renewal comes up, I'd have to go look but I'm pretty sure it always includes a link to my Intuit account login.

The other clue is the domain of the sender's email address. It is a private registration through GoDaddy, while intuit.com is clearly identified as owned by Intuit. You could try submitting an abuse complaint using the details you will find at the link below (although I've never done it, not sure how effective it is).

https://www.whois.com/whois/qb-billing.com

Return to General Accounting