Error messages in QB desktop

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
I have three clients who need to have new data files started for 2020 because their existing data files are, in one case over 20 years old, and for that reason is very large, the other two have similar problems.

I'm beginning to work on setting up the new files for one client and exporting .IIF files but I'm getting some strange error messages. When importing the Customer list to the new file, I'm getting a message telling me that "Item Sales Tax is not defined in Quickbooks". So I tried importing the item list first instead. None of the items will import and I'm not sure why. I have one message stating "QNTY column is repeated or empty in the header" and another one that reads CUSTITEMDICT with a column for Index and numbered 0-14, then a column for LABEL INUSE and all of them have N under that.

I'm not sure what the problem might be, or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

makbo  
actionbsns wrote:I'm beginning to work on setting up the new files for one client and exporting .IIF files but I'm getting some strange error messages. [...]
I'm not sure what the problem might be, or how to fix it. Any suggestions?

I have never tried export/import like you are describing. Why not use the built-in tools for this? Condensing a QB company file allows you several choices, including:

QB Help wrote:◾Remove transaction detail before a certain date. This option decreases the file size and improves performance if you have a large company file.
◾Remove all transactions. You can select this option to start over without losing your lists, preferences, and service subscriptions.
◾Remove all transactions to create a period copy that only includes transactions within a specified date range (QuickBooks Accountant only). This option creates a file you can send to third parties who don’t need to see transactions before or after the selected period.

Sounds like you want the second one. 1.Choose File > Utilities > Condense Data.

p.s. a more descriptive subject for this thread might be "Updating QB file without older data"

For files that old, condensing may not be the best choice, especially if integrity issues exist. If there have ever been integrations, it is almost assured that integrity issues exist.

IIF files can be a PITA to import, I have had to manually edit them at times and it can be more trouble than it is worth. Have you tried setting up sales tax in the new QBD file, first? For other errors, turn to Google since it has so many suggestions or answers. If not, contact Intuit...

makbo  
CornerstoneCPA wrote:For files that old, condensing may not be the best choice, especially if integrity issues exist. If there have ever been integrations, it is almost assured that integrity issues exist.

But if all the transactions are removed, keeping only lists, etc, what integrity issues? (and what do you mean by "If there have ever been integrations" -- you mean integrated apps?)

It should go without saying that a complete database verification must be successful before attempting condensation. I have successfully condensed large, old files without problems. And clearly the IIF semi-manual import process has problems, according to both you and the OP, so why not at least try the built-in tools specifically designed for this task first?

makbo wrote:But if all the transactions are removed, keeping only lists, etc, what integrity issues? (and what do you mean by "If there have ever been integrations" -- you mean integrated apps?)

Yes, third party app integrations. In 15 years, most QBD data files that have had third party app integrations will not pass an integrity test, and the issues cannot be resolved. The QBD API is horrific. Some third party apps work well and without issue, such as Bill & Pay and Bill.com, but others, like Fishbowl, are absolute nightmares.

I have dealt with entirely too many small and large QBD files with data integrity issues. It has tainted my opinion of QBD for such circumstances...it is one of the few scenarios are QBO is vastly superior. Generally, if there is at least one app integration and/or inventory and a data file is too large, I simply do not even waste my time with condensing. It is simpler to just create a new data file and transfer over balances via journal entries. IIFs are very hit and miss; sometimes they import without issue, other times it is an absolute nightmare.

I do not care for QBO, but it is increasingly becoming my preferred choice relative to the QBD issues I seem to routinely encounter, and Intuit's general lack of quality control concerning QBD. It is very obvious to me they are losing interest in supporting it as QBO advances in its capabilities.

I have little doubt that as AccountingSuite becomes a literal full accounting suite of their own modules for payroll and payables, I will be transitioning away from Intuit.

None of my three clients have third party apps now or in the past. I've transitioned clients in the past from one file to a new one utilizing export and import of .IIF files, for different reasons, and had it work just fine so I'm really at a loss to see these error messages now.

Makbo, what is the difference be tween condensing a file and removing transactions? Your instruction for removing transactions seems to be the same as for condensing. Although, I'm not at my computer with QB stuff right now, your description of removing transactions sounds like a viable choice, but the process reads the same as if the file is condensed, which has been done and not what needs to be done now

Using the Condense tool, I have removed transactions in one client data file. Since it's still 2019, it won't let me remove data prior to 12/31/2019 at this point, so I changed the date to 01/01/2019 so I can see how this works. The data file is reduced by about half, total transactions are substantially reduced, total targets and total links are substantially reduced. I checked to be sure payroll is still functioning properly, as well as invoicing and each check register. Then I ran the Verify Data tool. QB automatically sets up a back up copy with the same name followed by the word Copy and that file can be accessed for any reason, which is what I wanted. I'm thinking this will work a lot easier and quicker than what I had planned to do originally.

Any other suggestions to test the new file before I provide this information to the client and perform the same functions on their computers?

Yesterday I started working with the second client just to see if I could do what I wanted to do in QB with the export and import tools in QB. I've done this before successfully and I guess I just didn't want Intuit to win. I did everything to a thumb drive so if it went terribly wacky, I could just delete everything and start over.

There is a choice to just import the data and never mind anything else I'll fix it later. Intuit does not recommend using that choice. I did it anyway. There eror messages make no sense so it's pretty much impossible to see what needs to be "fixed". COA was an easy fix. Non of the Customer or Vendor lists would import without using the warning choice. Once imported I compared them with the previous list, which is a tedious task. Turns out that the "issue" is they both have participants who have an outstanding A/R or A/P, which I didn't want imported anyway. I went on to the other lists I wanted imported comparing them to the original, and didn't find any reason for error messages. All in all I think the new data file will work just fine and we can eliminate some old names and accounts that aren't used or needed anymore. In January I'll set up the file with opening balances and get them ready to move forward and keep the old data file in version 2016 available for future reference. I'm going to change the colors on the check register to some garish pink or green so if someone opens it accidently to use, it will be an immediate and visual reminder that they should not be entering information there and I'll lock the 2019 file so nothing can be added.

I'm thinking that Intuit has that warning in there so people will go to tech support at $90 an hour to make the import/export tool work correctly. In the end, both methods seem to have worked. The advantage of the condense tool for that client is that they have a considerable payroll history and it's good to keep the payroll item list available, it is not one of the exportable lists as far as I've found. Unfortunately, inactive employees can't be deleted so the employee list keeps growing, the client is in an industry with high turnover rates at the lower level of employment, so it grows annually.

makbo  
actionbsns wrote:I just didn't want Intuit to win. [...] I'm thinking that Intuit has that warning in there so people will go to tech support at $90 an hour to make the import/export tool work correctly.

Somehow I don't think consulting at $90/hour is a big revenue stream for Intuit...

Return to General Accounting