Need to file 2016 W2/W3 with SSA

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
A taxpayer failed to prepare and file 2016 W-2/W-3. IRS has assessed a $1000 penalty. I spoke with IRS and they are willing to waive the penalty once W2/W3 are filed with SSA.

I no longer have red filing copies. What are my options to get these filed? Can I file using black copies?

Joan TB  
I have some red copies from 2016. I could mail them to you. PM me.

sjrcpa  
I thought Red for W-2s went away a long time ago.

Joan TB  
Nope - red ink copies still around. Just got my freebie 2019 forms in the mail from the IRS. I hand them out to clients who have only one or two employees and do payroll themselves. Same for 1099-MISC. Doesn't cost me anything to be helpful!!

makbo  
sjrcpa wrote:I thought Red for W-2s went away a long time ago.

I wonder why. The very first page of the PDF copy of Form W-2 says,

"Copy A of this form is provided for informational purposes only. Copy A appears in red, similar to the official IRS form. The official printed version of this IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from this website, is not. Do not print and file Copy A downloaded from this website with the SSA; a penalty may be imposed for filing forms that can’t be scanned."

cp_acwt  
From the first page of the SSA website:
Review your paper Forms W-2, especially Copy A, to ensure that they print accurately prior to mailing them to Social Security's Wilkes-Barre Direct Operations Center.

Form W-2/W-3 Instructions

Form W-2c/W-3c Instructions

Social Security accepts laser printed Forms W-2/W-3 as well as the standard red drop-out ink forms. Both the laser forms and the red drop-out ink forms must comply with Internal Revenue Service's Publication 1141 and require pre-approval from Social Security.
https://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperFormInstr.htm

Return to General Accounting