which quickbooks desktop version to select?

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
cl2018  
I currently use QBO accountant version.
As I get more bookkeeping clients, I am considering converting to desktop version.
Can anyone suggest which desktop version is good choice for a new bookkeeping practice like mine. I contacted Intuit and they said I should use the desktop accountant version with annual price of 499$.
I saw on their website there is the desktop pro version with current price of $299. Intuit said it is not for accountant but for small business.
Does anyone here use this version? Any drawbacks of using this version vs. accountant version?

Also, as clients grow, I may need third party apps to automate import, etc. will QBO or desktop version be more efficient and cost effective?

Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Definitely Accountant version. Lots more options. If you only get the Pro version, you'll quickly find a client that you can't handle with only Pro (instead of Premier). Examples are manufacturers and contractors.
The thing I really like about Accountant version is that I can have two companies open at the same time. If you do any cleanup work, this is worth its weight in gold

cl2018  
Bottom Line wrote:Definitely Accountant version. Lots more options. If you only get the Pro version, you'll quickly find a client that you can't handle with only Pro (instead of Premier). Examples are manufacturers and contractors.
The thing I really like about Accountant version is that I can have two companies open at the same time. If you do any cleanup work, this is worth its weight in gold

Thank you so much!
Do you know it is ok to buy the accountant version and use it for 3 years without upgrade is practical? or it is better to upgrade each year?

You would need the latest version each year. Otherwise, you'll have a client bring in a 2021 version backup and you won't be able to restore using your 2020 version.

I've found that being a ProAdvisor is cost effective. You get all the versions for $450. If you want to include Enterprise Solutions, it's $800. I'm not certified (in my opinion, it's a waste). I also don't buy QB for clients through Intuit because even with the ProAdvisor discount, it's cheaper through Amazon.

Bottom Line wrote:I've found that being a ProAdvisor is cost effective. You get all the versions for $450. If you want to include Enterprise Solutions, it's $800. I'm not certified (in my opinion, it's a waste). I also don't buy QB for clients through Intuit because even with the ProAdvisor discount, it's cheaper through Amazon.

Agreed - I find the ProAdvisor program to be quite a good deal (although, that's part of their evil marketing plan).

cl2018  
Thank you everyone for your help and input! Very very helpful! greatly appreciate everyone's efforts!

JR1  
To clairy, YOU don't need a new version each year. But herding your clients can be a challenge. Years ago I did manage to keep folks on just one or two versions, but at some point just joined the ProAdvisor group which costs about the same as Accountant's version anyway, so I get the annual update. Now I don't care what the clients use other than keeping track of what they DO use! If you'll have multiple clients on different versions, might as well just become a ProAdvisor....
Go Blackhawks! Go Pack Go!
Remembering our son, Ben Jan 22, 1992 to Aug 26, 2011.
For FB'ers: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BenRoberts/

Return to General Accounting