QuickBooks Desktop 2021 - Is it now an annual subscription?

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Wiles  
Each year, we purchase the latest version of QuickBooks for our office via the Accountant ProAdvisor. We also purchase the additional 5-user pack so that we can do additional installs on workstations.

I have a friend wanting to purchase QuickBooks Desktop and he said that pricing for 2021 shows as a per year price. Is this new? Or has that always been the case?

What happens if you don't pay in year #2?

Intuit is definitely trying to move people to subscription pricing but you can still do the one-time payment model for QB Desktop.

If you are in the subscription model, I expect that you have to pay each year or the software doesn't work, but I'm not sure one way or another.

Wiles  
Thanks, missingdonut

It seems very hard to find pricing information on the Intuit website. A Google search produced this article which, if true, does a really good job breaking it down: https://www.merchantmaverick.com/comple ... p-pricing/

The article says QuickBooks Pro one-time purchase price is $399.99 and QuickBooks Pro Plus is an annual subscription price of $299.99/yr. The one-time purchase price still exists, but you will need to work hard to find this on the internet.

The Plus version of Desktop is for the annual subscription. You can avoid the annual subscription by NOT buying any QBD version that includes "Plus" in the description. So, Quickbooks Pro or Quickbooks Premier, for example, would be one-time costs without the subscription model.

Buy from this link and toggle the "Software Only" button so Plus disappears from product names. Intuit pushes subscriptions, but they do not make it difficult to bypass them...you just have to know what you're looking at: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/desktop/

Wiles  
Great info. Thank you

Return to General Accounting