inv removed for personal use 1040 sched c

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
If one transfers inventory from a sole prop (sched C) to an LLC, how will you close out the inventory on the sched C's closing inventory?

Example: Apr 2020, sole prop closes shop and gives 10k inv to LLC.

From my understanding one would put "inv removed for personal use" on 1040 Sched C to not overstate COGS and 0ing out inv. But where exactly do I put that? Do I simply write it out on a certain line? Or is there a box to check?

Nilodop  
Is the llc a dre? If so, just keep the Sch C going. If not, I'd leave it in ending inventory. It's not going to be for personal use, right? Just trying to get to the right income. Then, it's opening inventory on the llc.

The LLC is an S-corp is its not a DRE.

So I have a sole prop with 10k inventory. I then form an LLC and elect s-corp status and sell this 10k worth of inventory in the S-corp. The sole prop and s-corp are essentially the same business as its continuing the same operations. I suppose one could treat it as the same business or a completely new business, to me it really doesn't matter.

I am just trying to figure out the best way to treat this transfer of inventory from the sole-prop to the S-corp without overthinking this.

For the S-corp I currently have this 10k inventory treated as equity (owners contribution) and was going to enter (10,000) [negtive] on the sole props sched C line 36 "Purchases less cost of items withdrawn for personal use" so the starting inventory is zeroed out and the ending inv is 0.

What do you suggest I do?

I agree with Len...leave it in ending inventory

The inventory on hand when the Sch C activity ended was $10K. It wasn't used/converted to personal use.
The 2021 Sch C won't exist. There's no reconciliation or other reporting to show where the inventory went. It sounds like you've properly recorded it on the S-corp books. I think you're good.
~Captcook

Nilodop  
and sell this 10k worth of inventory in the S-corp.. No. Contribute, not sell. Sec 351.

Nilodop wrote:and sell this 10k worth of inventory in the S-corp.. No. Contribute, not sell. Sec 351.

I don't think he misspoke here. He said sell "in" the corp, not sell "to" the corp.
~Captcook

CaptCook is correct. The sole prop did not sell TO the s-corp, it sold the inventory in the s-corp as the two entities are the same business.

Would it make any difference if I:

1) treat the 10k of inventory as removed for personal use on the sched c when transferred to the s-corp as owners contribution https://imgur.com/a/1wy05Cg or,

2) Just leave the 10k of the inventory on the ending inventory balance of the sched c then treat the transfer to the s-corp as owners contribution? There will be no 2021 sched c.

Nilodop  
I give up.

They did not sell the inventory "to" or "in" the S corp., at least as I use the term "sell". I'd say the proprietor of the proprietorship (an individual) contributed the inventory (in a section 351 transaction) to a newly formed LLC that elected S treatment. That S corp. held the inventory primarily for sale to customers in the ordinary course of its business. How was it removed for personal use?

But I admit the sale occurs "in" the S corp.

CGT, #2 as you've described would be correct.
~Captcook

jon  
Looked quickly, bu 351 an attachments will show you did a tax free action. The owner took it out call it a draw whatever you want, but it has no effect on the C for the year of termination, he contributed it into ? under 351.

Return to General Accounting