QBO App - End of service notification

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Wiles  
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/online/apps/

Why is this happening?

We developed free apps to give users a more integrated experience for using QuickBooks Online outside of the browser. Due to limited use, we will stop supporting these apps to invest in other functionality that matters to you.

I find this surprising there is such low usage of this app

I don't. The app is garbage in my experience. Far too slow and buggy. Mind you, I market myself as "not QuickBooks" and I currently have a grand total of three clients on QBO.

Webster  
SumwunLost wrote:I market myself as "not QuickBooks"

You've likely posted it before, but what do you use?

Moneyworks, from Cognito Software in New Zealand. It works like a manual system, whilst harnessing the power of a computer. It works for me. My largest client handles her own A/P and A/R so I just maintain the nominal ledger. Their entry-level software is designed for US cash basis and can, of course, be used for accrual basis. My other business clients have no need for other than nominal ledger. Their basic offering is free. You just have to sign up for a trial then convert it - you can't "buy" it directly.

Now that Acclivity is ending support for the Mac, this is the only desktop software I am aware of that supports communication between Mac and PC.

I'm not surprised either, the application is junk and constantly crashes or throws errors, forcing you to close and reopen. It also loves to start having typed keys enter backwards, whereas none of this occurs when using QBO in a browser.

I DID like the app because I tend to open several companies at once and it kept my browser free of even more tabs (I often have 20-30 tabs open).

CMKatie  
I hated the random typing backwards in it but I hated that less than I hated the browser version.

Wiles  
Does anybody know where you can find the installation for the QuickBooks Online App?

I believe it used to be here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/online/apps/

They eliminated it and are forcing everyone to utilize QBO through a web browser. It works better, anyway, though it annoys me that I cannot be in two companies simultaneously.

Wiles  
I figured out a work around to do the install if anybody cares. It's the same thing we used to do in the olden DOS days. Copy the folder (directory) from one computer to another.

It must not make any registry changes, then. It really is just a glorified web browser, anyway, so not surprised that workaround worked.

CornerstoneCPA wrote:...though it annoys me that I cannot be in two companies simultaneously.

Just open the second company in either a different browser or open a "private"/"incognito" window for the second company file.

novacpa  
SumwunLost wrote:Moneyworks, from Cognito Software in New Zealand. It works like a manual system, whilst harnessing the power of a computer. It works for me. My largest client handles her own A/P and A/R so I just maintain the nominal ledger. Their entry-level software is designed for US cash basis and can, of course, be used for accrual basis. My other business clients have no need for other than nominal ledger. Their basic offering is free. You just have to sign up for a trial then convert it - you can't "buy" it directly.

Now that Acclivity is ending support for the Mac, this is the only desktop software I am aware of that supports communication between Mac and PC.

Did you purchase the Express or Gold 9?

Gold and I'm on 8.2.5. I felt that Express was not worth it compared to Cashbook, which is a free subscription. I found it much better to jump to Gold as I have a few rental entities and being able to easily produce P&Ls for each property without reprogramming is wonderful. Before those clients became bookkeeping clients, I found Cashbook quite adequate. As noted, I have one trading company that is on accrual and doing journals in Cashbook did not mess anything else up. Mind you, I do bank recs in an Excel spreadsheet. No matter how good the software, I would never let that run on auto-pilot.

Return to General Accounting