Inventory control policies

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
A friend of mine (not a client) was recently hired on as controller of an electrical contractor. He came from a much larger company that makes airplanes...you know the one.

He discovered that his new company has no formalized policies on inventory controls and he asked me if I had a document from which he could start from instead of starting from scratch. I really don't, but I'm curious if any of you would be willing to share.

His description: "I’m really looking for the 2-3 page document that starts with strategy and ends with roles and responsibilities"

Anyone have anything like this they'd be willing to share?
~Captcook

dsocpa  
Not offhand. But I’ll see what I have in my files. But “whoa” potential recipe for disaster if there are no controls over inventory. I would think the parts for airplanes would be costly.

He no longer works at the airplane company. That is his frame of reference for policies.
~Captcook

I am not aware of any templates--the ones I have seen are internally developed. But, Steven Bragg's Inventory Best Practices has a subsection of a chapter devoted to what it should entail.

Thanks!
~Captcook

Return to General Accounting