Were payroll tax deposits made?

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Andrew  
What is the easiest way to find out if the payroll company made the IRS payroll tax deposits?

Payroll company went out of business in 2019. Client received IRS notice about a missing 941 for the first qtr 2019 and a proposed payroll tax liability. I was able to recreate the 941 with records the client gave me. However, since the payroll company was paid on the bank stmts for the payroll taxes they would deposit, there's no direct way for me to verify if these deposits were actually made.

I was thinking of calling the IRS business specialty line but I'm not sure they have that info. Also, I would think that the IRS notice would show the payroll tax payments.

Can you get access to client’s EFTPS account?

Joan TB  
Get a Transcript of Account for each 941 qtr which will show deposits/amts/date made. (Each qtr is its own account.) I would check on Form 940 for each year as well. Client can contact IRS for the transcripts, or you can get a POA and call. (You can fax them the POA while you are on the phone.)

I find that calling the business tax side of the Practitioner Priority Service generally gets through pretty quick, which of course cannot be said for the personal tax side.

Andrew  
Thanks. That's been my experience as well but today they claim to have extremely high call volume. I'll try again tomorrow.

Return to General Accounting