Payroll

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Andrew  
I have a few payroll clients. The IRS will soon no longer accept paper filed 941. I have an ERO account for tax returns. And my understanding is that the IRS needs a new ERO account for the payroll tax returns. In the IRS's infinite wisdom, they will disable your existing ERO account used for filing tax returns, if you sign up for an ERO for payroll tax. Someone on this board reported this but this person was not the one in charge of filing tax returns for the firm she worked for. Disabling my ERO number will take me out of business for about 3 months, because of few people working for the IRS, which means it will be fixed when the IRS has time.

If I move all payroll clients to Gusto, does my firm still need an ERO account? We'll be filing as the accountant, not as the firm the client has.

Where have you seen that the IRS will soon no longer accept paper filed 941's? I have not seen that any where.

I also have not seen where the IRS will not allow paper 941's and I just reviewed their instructions. Andrew, where did you see this?

Pretty certain you have incorrect information across the board. You cannot obtain an RA PIN without an EFIN. If you already have an EFIN, then yes, you ADD an RA PIN application to your approved EFIN. If no EFIN, you have to apply for both. Also, need to submit an 8655 for each client for which you will serve as RA. I suspect whoever stated applying for an RA PIN will invalidate your EFIN doesn't have a clue how it works, or another issue arose that caused their firm to lose their EFIN.

I have been eFiling most 94x forms I have been assigned two different PINs by IRS, a 10 digit for my own company and a 5 digit RA PIN for clients. These eFiled 941s are via Quickbooks Desktop--I have NO place to enter either of these PINs, yet I have been successfully eFiling. My best guess is the client's FEIN is associated with my EFIN, PTIN, and RA PIN; there is simply no place I can identify to enter the 5 or 10 digit PINs and so it all must occur via background matching within IRS systems.

I am not aware of IRS doing away with paper filing of these forms. As indicated, March 2022 instructions for 941 still reference paper filing option.

Andrew  
CornerstoneCPA, thanks for the info. You're right. You can still paper file the 941s. We use "CFS after the fact payroll" for most payroll clients and for one client we use QB Desktop Payroll. Eventually, I'd like to have all 941s e-filed. But it looks like I'll have more time to make the switch. It looks like pricing for payroll is about similar for QB PR and Gusto. QB PR will be integrated with the books so that would be an added benefit. The downside is the cost of a new QB version every 3 years.

I don't do many payrolls, so I utilize my ProAdvisor license that allows 50 companies assigned to my QBD licenses via my payroll account. Since I no longer maintain books in QBD except for generating financials for tax purposes, I end up doing journal entries to post to client accounting systems (generally QBO).

Return to General Accounting