QBO and writing off bad debt

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Client, accrual basis, uses QBO. A few invoices remain unpaid despite collections efforts. I want to write them off in 2021. I debit bad debt expense for 10K, credit AR for 10K, fill out client name, everything seemed fine ... until I ran a balance sheet on cash basis where AR shows a minus 10K.

How do I fix this?

sjrcpa  
Why are you running the BS on Cash Basis?
If you run on accrual basis, is it correct?

You have to apply the credit you created with the AJE to the uncollectible invoice. Otherwise, that credit just sits in A/R as an unapplied payment and shows up as you describe.
~Captcook

sjrcpa wrote:Why are you running the BS on Cash Basis?
If you run on accrual basis, is it correct?

Yes, it is. But I want the cash basis to be correct as well.

CaptCook wrote:You have to apply the credit you created with the AJE to the uncollectible invoice. Otherwise, that credit just sits in A/R as an unapplied payment and shows up as you describe.

I did. With the journal entry for bad debt, I filled out the name of the client, and the bad debt amount was applied to the invoice. The invoice is written off by the journal entry and shows zero. But cash basis doesn't agree. I'm not able to write it off through "receive payment" which requires a bank account for the amount to be deposited to.

sjrcpa  
I never trust QB Cash Basis statements when books are kept on accrual basis. We do an accrual to cash conversion in trial balance software when we need cash basis for tax returns.

What I sometimes do here is pretend the invoice was paid. Cash will be overstated, of course. But then you input a dummy check for the same amount. Post that dummy check to the same P&L account (likely Sales) that the credit in the original A/R entry was posted to. And then when reconciling the bank statement, click-off both the dummy deposit and the dummy check and you should be in balance.

Upon reviewing your financials, you will find:

1) The Receivable has been eliminated.
2) Cash basis Sales will be increased for the dummy receipt. But cash basis Sales, owing to the dummy check, will also be reduced. Thus, the cash basis impact on Sales, and the cash basis P&L in general, will be neutral, which is what you want.
3) On the accrual basis, Sales will take a hit (debit) for the dummy check. Effectively, you have debited Sales instead of Bad Debts Expense (BDE). If you don’t like this, you could post the dummy check to “Bad Debts Expense.” That will make your accrual P&L accurate. On the cash basis, however, the BDE will show up as a BDE. When preparing the cash basis tax return, you would simply net that against Sales…and this is proper, because cash basis Sales are otherwise over-stated, owing to us pretending the invoice was paid.

I find that the above method is easiest to explain to clients, that’s why I use it. As a general proposition, you don’t want to be making journal entries in QB’s to A/R and/or A/P.

MilesR  
I had this issue this year with a client. You have to create a credit memo and apply it to the unpaid invoice. It basically credits a "payment" to bad debt expense. I found this video that was helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1v8T5DAF4M

You can likely just skip to the 3 minute mark to see how to make a credit memo and apply it to the open invoice.

Return to General Accounting