QuickBooks desktop gone?

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
I have been notified by QuickBooks that my desktop version will be discontinued May 31.

Does anyone out there use QuickBooks desktop? I can't imagine they can just cut me off. I have years of bookkeeping for myself and many clients on there.

Anyone know anything about this? I know they want me to convert to their cloud version. Help. I will try to call, but I thought maybe someone here at TPT would have some insight.

Joan TB  
You can still get QB desktop via an annual subscription. That is different from QBO.
Of course, you have to keep paying annually to use the software, rather than a one-time purchase.
But it seems to be the way of the world for software. I hate it, too.

KoiCPA  
Two things...

1) is it that QB will be entirely discontinued, or just that certain features will be disabled. (i.e. payroll, bank feeds, email invoices, that kind of stuff). In this scenario, (presumably you have QB 2019) you can continue to use QB without those features. It'll still work just fine for accounting purposes. And you can find workarounds for many of the limitations - for example, you can't email invoices directly from QB, but you can create a PDF of the invoice that you can email outside QB.

2) if you have one of the Plus subscription, then yes, that's basically ending. I'm getting mixed messages about whether Pro Plus exists at all this year (was 500/year last year), but Premier Plus (800/year) and Enterprise (1300/year or more) are still available.

If you do have a pre-2022 permanent license for QB, that's like gold in my mind. Done properly, you can keep that running forever and it is the best combination of price and features you'll ever find.

Joan TB  
I agree with KoiCPA. I don't use the add-ons, so my version of QB should last a long time. Not necessarily the case for my clients who have QB desktop and use/need the extra features.

Yep, I think I'm okay, after speaking with two QB workers at the phone number on the notice.

They said the problems will be in the future when Microsoft upgrades their software, which will make an old QB version useless.

And they said if I have problems with anything related to the software etc., I won't be able to get any help from QB on phone or online.

Thanks for all input.

KoiCPA  
Kendrick wrote:They said the problems will be in the future when Microsoft upgrades their software, which will make an old QB version useless.

Should it come to this, my plan is to get an old computer or even a virtual computer, and keep running the old versions of Microsoft software. But I also tend to think we'll get a long life out of this without any special measures. I have 15 years of QB versions running on my Win 10 computers.

Kendrick wrote:And they said if I have problems with anything related to the software etc., I won't be able to get any help from QB on phone or online.

After a recent 3-hour support call my first thought is "So... same as usual, then?"

sjrcpa  
We always have to upgrade because our clients have new versions of QB.
For security reasons, per our IT people, we no longer use any version of QB after Intuit stops supporting it (3 years usually). This forces some of our clients to upgrade their old versions (or spring for QBO). There is a limit as to how old a version you can open/update in a new version. I don't remember what it is.

My QB Pro expired last month and I was not able to open it after that. Forced to pay for another year or all data inaccessible.

I'm not happy about having to ransom my work. Does anyone know of a program that will transfer QB files rather than having to completely restart? I really don't want to lose all that history.

KoiCPA  
There are no programs that I know of which can simply convert a QB file to something else. Almost always, you'll see directions about how to export lists and spreadsheets. For example, this guide on QB-to-GnuCash https://github.com/erikmack/qb-escape

Do you have your QB data on a perpetual license in an earlier version of QB? If so, one solution is the Transaction Copier from Big Red Consulting: https://bigredconsulting.com/products/t ... uickbooks/ - restore your last backup from the old version of QB, then use the transaction copier to get newer transactions back into the old edition.

One client has migrated to QB Online because they invoice and receive payments within the program and this was most cost effective for them. They only plan to be in business about another year or so. I just opened the data file and started working with QBO. Nothing about it has changed my opinion that it is a horrible program. There is no Open Window feature so I have to keep bouncing around to reports and essentially start over each time. It automatically wanted to have payroll questions answered, even though there is no payroll within that program - I still prepare their payroll with QB desk top V 2023 and enter it to the clients data file manually, there are just the H&W now as employees. I need to go in and fix a bunch of accounts that Intuit has added balances for that didn't exist in the desk top version. This client is a cash basis taxpayer and even though Cash Basis is marked, the balance sheet is still showing a balance for A/R. I really hate that Intuit feels like they know more about what we do than we know and then they automatically take the steps to assert their fake knowledge. Not a happy camper right now. I've spent over three hours just trying to find what needs to be done to make the new data file agree with the tax return for 2022.

Use new tabs in your browser for each report you want to review.
That was a big game changer for me when I started doing it
~Captcook

Joan TB  
I have a client that just migrated to QBO last week, so I haven't really gotten into it. However, their office person said is some kind of QBO app that you can download onto your desktop computer and it makes QBO look almost like the old desktop. That sounded encouraging. I plan to look at that closely.

Before the migration, I also spent a LOT of time reviewing the detailed checklist that Intuit had on their website (not easily found unless you were digging for it) and it had details about what transfers to QBO (and how) vs what does NOT transfer. I reviewed that and pointed out several issues to my client. So far, the client has only found a couple of minor issues, so hopefully that was all time well spent. I also provided a list of about 25 reports I told them to run, export to excel and KEEP -- before the migration was done so we could compare in detail whatever we needed.

I have had clients that do absolute NO preparation before the switch, and guess what -- it was MESS! QB doesn't really caution you about the work that needs to be done upfront. But I always remind people that the person they are talking to at QB is a SALESMAN, not an accountant.

Capt Cook, I have another client using a different program that is equally horrible, if not worse, and I have to open tabs to keep reports on the screen if that's needed. It's a total pain. While it's an option with QBO, I don't see it as any better, it's just plain annoying.

Is there any way to get the A/R to not be included on the Balance Sheet? There actually is no A/R and hasn't been for over a year, but when I run the report, QBO is showing it goes back over a year. I don't want to just make a journal entry to get ride of it except for Credit A/R and debit Y/E A/R adjustment on the Balance Sheet, then it will stay there forever.

KoiCPA  
Joan TB wrote:I have a client that just migrated to QBO last week, so I haven't really gotten into it. However, their office person said is some kind of QBO app that you can download onto your desktop computer and it makes QBO look almost like the old desktop. That sounded encouraging. I plan to look at that closely. ...

This person is partly right. The QBO Desktop app (which has on-again, off-again support from Intuit) is just a web browser. There is a "Navigation map" that is a little like the desktop's old Home screen, but otherwise you're navigating web pages just like running QBO from a browser. It can help resolve plug-in conflicts and might simplify logging in or switching companies, but it's not really any different.
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-sup ... d=likiip81

KoiCPA  
actionbsns wrote:...

Is there any way to get the A/R to not be included on the Balance Sheet? There actually is no A/R and hasn't been for over a year, but when I run the report, QBO is showing it goes back over a year. I don't want to just make a journal entry to get ride of it except for Credit A/R and debit Y/E A/R adjustment on the Balance Sheet, then it will stay there forever.

A/R appears on the balance sheet for a variety of reasons, so you'd have to troubleshoot all of them. Sometimes the way a business uses items, payments or invoices will make it impossible to avoid an A/R amount.
https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-sup ... d=likioc5t

Nearly eight hours into it, I've found what needed to be done about the A/R. Transactions from as far back as 2010 and 2011 didn't migrate over properly. Now I have $1350 sitting on the 2022 income statement as Unapplied Funds that needs to be re-routed somewhere. I know which client is involved, I have to figure out why it's there. Job security for another day.

KoiCPA  
Quick update on the QB Desktop Pro Plus subscription - I confirmed this morning in a phone call that it is still available at a 500/year subscription pricing, but ONLY by phone. And the phone people will work very hard to assume you want QB Online instead.

Return to General Accounting