Quickbooks Online

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Joan TB  
One of my clients bought QB online. Gosh - I hate it! Anyway, does anyone know why the memo/description field is blank on the expense side of the check? When you look at the GL, the memo is there, but it doesn't repeat in the expense account line. How does one get it to do that? Is it a setting?

Also, where does one find the "check register"? Since this client is going back to 2012 and entering all their info, this is "after the fact". I don't know if they will EVER use QB "currently".

And how does one enter deposits without using the A/R & Customers? I just want to record the deposits into Income. They don't do Sales Invoices or A/R (they are a farmer).

I consider myself a very good accountant, but this system is horrible!

Hi Joan -

I actually like QBO, but it takes a little getting used to. The real beauty comes in when the bank feeds are working!

Re the Memo/Description - the Memo field shows up on the cash side, the Description shows up on the expense side. There is an automatic way to fill those fields - go to Transactions (left side of screen) > Banking > Table Gear > Copy Description.

To get to the Register - go to Transactions (left side of screen) > Banking Select the bank account you want to input in, then in the table below there is a "Go to Register" link.

For deposits - to to the + in the middle of the screen, then under Other (right hand side of pop up window) select Bank Deposit

Joan you have nothing but my sympathy for being put in a position to have to use QB online. It's one of the worst pieces of #$%^ I've ever had the misfortune to have to use. It's a huge time waster and a major source of frustration. Someone convinced one of my clients to convert to it a couple of years ago and now that person is gone and everyone is stuck with it. You can't go back from what I understand. Another client is a medical practice of three shareholders, one of whom does all the accounting work in house and two others. One Monday morning she came into work and one of the others had converted the QB to the online version without talking to anyone, she was furious, and has been tearing her hair out ever since (tip of the iceberg that problem but it sure didn't help matters). I strongly discourage anyone from making the switch.

Joan TB  
One of the things that puzzles me with QBOL. With desktop QB, I can have multiple screens open (transactions, GL, bank register, P&L, BS, etc. you name it. However, it seems with QBOL every time I go from one report to another, the first report closes, and then has to be "re-generated". Am I doing it wrong?

Also, thanks Checkblank, I found what you listed out for me.

You can go back to desktop. You have to call Intuit and get them to make the conversion. The people on the phone seem to understand that QBOL is garbage and they don't push too hard to get you to stay on it.

You can have two reports open. At the top of your internet screen where the tabs are, just pull a new tab to the side. Log in again and you can run another report.

QBOL and similar companies (i.e. Xero) are the future of small business accounting because many clients prefer the easier data entry methods and because the monthly fees will increase revenues for the software companies. When will QB desktop versions aside from Enterprise be discontinued? I don't know, but it will be sooner than a lot of small business accountants will want.

At some point, one company will come out with two separate functional interfaces for their online product -- one reflecting how clients can do bookkeeping and one reflecting how accountants think -- and it will take the industry by storm just like QuickBooks did many years ago. You will want to be a leader, not a follower of this change.

makbo  
"QBOL and similar companies (i.e. Xero) are the future of small business accounting because many clients prefer the easier data entry methods and because the monthly fees will increase revenues for the software companies."

I don't understand the first part of your argument -- what is easier about QBO? The second part, unquestionably. Moving to online subscriptions is primarily for the benefit of the software companies, although users who can't manage to make backups and apply updates will also finally get (for extra $$$) a service they desperately need.

Frankly  
missingdonut wrote:... because many clients prefer the easier data entry methods ...

There is nothing inherently easier about software in the "cloud" v. software on a HD. If it's easier it's because the program interface is different than that of another program. And QBOL being "easier" than desktop is highly debatable.

This cloud thing and the higher revenues through subscription pricing will never work unless the vendors put out a better product than currently exists on the desktop. Simply discontinuing an existing product to force a change is a dumb way to go about it. Make it better, really better, and folks will go there.

FYI - you don't need support to switch back to Desktop. I'll drop back after April 15th with instructions on how to switch back.

To me, the beauty of QBO (as well as Xero or Wave or any of the other cloud based systems) is the data feeds and the matching of deposits/transactions as well as the flexibility for clients to do things on the go. Also, being able to work in the file at the same time as my client and no sending accountant copies back and forth.

The new apps you can use as add ons to programs like Xero or QBO add a whole new way we can serve our clients and give them "large business" tools at a small business price.

makbo  
CheckBlank wrote:To me, the beauty of QBO (as well as Xero or Wave or any of the other cloud based systems) is the data feeds and the matching of deposits/transactions

Desktop has all the same data feeds and matching, doesn't it? I've seen several posts in various places that seem to imply this isn't the case.

makbo wrote:I don't understand the first part of your argument -- what is easier about QBO?

The interface is easier -- not for accountants, mind you, but for some clients. Having fewer options is one part of it.

Frankly wrote:There is nothing inherently easier about software in the "cloud" v. software on a HD. If it's easier it's because the program interface is different than that of another program. And QBOL being "easier" than desktop is highly debatable.

This cloud thing and the higher revenues through subscription pricing will never work unless the vendors put out a better product than currently exists on the desktop. Simply discontinuing an existing product to force a change is a dumb way to go about it. Make it better, really better, and folks will go there.

On your first point, I completely agree with you. A program is not easier because it's in the cloud (aside from not having to attempt to install the software or handle your own backups). It's easier because the program interface is geared toward people who aren't accountants who need to do the bookkeeping. It's not designed for us. It's also why I believe that once a company creates an accountant portal to reflect how accountants think, they will take the industry by storm.

To your second point, we're talking about Intuit here. This company embodies forced change to the consumer -- or does the forced obsolescence of their desktop product not count? How about the TurboTax fracas this year, where they attempted to force some returning users up a product level? Or their never-ending changes in QB desktop of how much you have to pay to have a payroll subscription?

makbo wrote:Desktop has all the same data feeds and matching, doesn't it? I've seen several posts in various places that seem to imply this isn't the case.

Desktop has data feeds and matching, sure, but it's a module rather than being integrated as it is in QBOL.

Absolutely nothing in this discussion would make me change my mind about QBO. Checkblank I would really like to know how to convert a data file back to the desk top. I would be the hero to two clients in a heart beat. You can't make a solid argument that the cloud is making everyone's life easier or things like "data feed" or whatever other technical terms you want to use, make things easier when the bottom line is that the program performs incredibly badly, wastes tons of time because reports have to constantly be re-entered, and nothing makes sense within the program. You have to click on a myriad of buttons in different places on the screen to find things like reconciliation screens, or check registers (don't get me started on the check register, it's the worst to use). I don't feel that has anything to do with the cloud, it's a badly designed program. If Intuit is under the delusion that they will replace the desk top version with this one without a lot of re-design work, then let them have a go. They will lose a ton of customers to programs like Peachtree, and open the door for another software to come along to replace it. As for being able to do things from anywhere, you can do the same thing on a remote basis and I do that all the time for clients.

makbo  
Theoretically, you can save a "backup" of QBO to your desktop, then try to get that running in the desktop version. I tried it once a few years ago, it did not work, errors about some transactions that couldn't be extracted or something like that.

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the main things Intuit is aiming for, which is to work smoothly on mobile devices. Not worth much to me, but some small business people might like it.

CathysTaxes  
makbo wrote:Theoretically, you can save a "backup" of QBO to your desktop, then try to get that running in the desktop version. I tried it once a few years ago, it did not work, errors about some transactions that couldn't be extracted or something like that.

I don't think anyone has mentioned one of the main things Intuit is aiming for, which is to work smoothly on mobile devices. Not worth much to me, but some small business people might like it.

If that is Intuit's intention, then, IMO, they can say goodbye to the professional accountant who is maintaining several clients. I can understand the Mom and Pop shop where one of them is out and about dealing with customers, using his iPad for everything, but those of use who want to sit down at our desks and work, want a system that we can easily and quickly use.
Cathy
CathysTaxes

Frankly  
For the life of me I cannot imagine any business person thinking it would be useful to do their bookkeeping on-line, in-the-cloud, on a cell phone, driving down the interstate. Yeah, maybe they could do some "work" while waiting in the drive-through line at the BurgerKing, but really, how does Brad get the notion that this is what business people WANT? Wait, he's that kind of guy. OK.

In order to export a data file from QBO, go to the gear > export data. Follow the instructions. You have to use internet explorer and a file is created in a few minutes to an hour depending on the size of the client file. I had a client do this, and they subsequently converted the file to Mac. There has not been an issue.

There is a thread about converting from Quick Books Online to Quick Books desktop on the Quickbooksusers.com forum.

Here is a link to it:
http://forums.quickbooksusers.com/showt ... hp?t=60542

Please note that I have not tried this procedure and therefore do not know whether or not this procedure works.

I am only posting the link to provide information for those that would like it.

I have many clients on Quick Books and not one on Quick Books On Line. Not a single one of my clients wants their accounting data online. It is my belief that if Intuit thinks they are going to force small business owners to use an online accounting service then they will lose a massive amount of business. In my opinion other accounting software vendors will fill the void for those folks that do not want their accounting data online.

The QBO accounting is OK but the payroll is hideous.

Checkblank, I'm wondering if you can check in here as promised with instructions for moving a data file from online back to a desk top version? I downloaded the data provided by whoever provided the link (sorry, I don't remember your name, but thanks for the download). I'd like to compare the procedures. Has anyone done this successfully? What are the issues that need special attention? Does the re-conversion work well? I have a client who sold his business and the new guy would like to move away from the online version if possible, he is using QB Enterprise for other businesses he has, version 2011, and would like to have this data file be in the same place.

I've moved several back. Go to the Gear. You'll probably need to re-reconcile. The transactions are in there. You can do a mass/one-time reconcile.

I do have a couple of clients using online. I get a backup at least once a month "just in case".

Next

Return to General Accounting