ATB Windows 10

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
COGS  
My computer guy was in this morning. I was lamenting my old fear of someday not being able to run ATB easily. He mentioned that it may run on Windows 10. Has anyone tried it? This would be great news if it works. I can't live without this program.

makbo  
What is ATB? Is there a vendor? Ever since Win 7 or maybe even XP, there has been a Windows "compatibility" mode for older software, but I haven't had to use it.

COGS  
It is the AICPAs old quick and dirty trial balance program. It is so fast for Adjusting Journal Entries. But it is also great for accrual to cash adjustments, consolidating multiple trial balances, analytics, etc. I tried Lacerte Trial Balance and it was painful to use and the clients did not like the format. Yes, I can't import from QBs easily and it does not download into the tax software. But I don't mind that at all because it is just so fast to use.

rkrcpa  
Wow, I thought I was bad still using GoAudit! I haven't thought about ATB in 20 years.

COGS  
RK, What is "GoAudit" I can't find anything on line about it. Do you like it more than ATB or do you long for the days of ATB?

rkrcpa  
COGS wrote:RK, What is "GoAudit" I can't find anything on line about it. Do you like it more than ATB or do you long for the days of ATB?

GoAudit is the Windows based replacement for ATB. I forget the exact history (seems like everything was once something else) but when we transitioned away from Novell and DOS to Windows based networks we also switched from ATB to GoAudit. It is essentially a Windows version of ATB, it is strictly a computerized posting sheet like we used in back in the day when columnar tablets ruled the day.

I quite literally could not live without it, it does everything I need to adjust a client's trial balance and prepare financial statements. Unfortunately, Creative Solutions stopped supporting it about ten years ago. I just keep installing it on new machines as they are brought online and continue on my merry way, contentedly oblivious to the new and improved software packages that would have me redesign my entire practice.

JAD  
Wow, ATB. I thought I was the only one in America still using it. My computer consultant could not get it to work on a new version of Windows - several years ago. He set up a virtual computer within the new computer to load the old Windows system so ATB would work. I will have that computer forever for the sake of ATB and my very old version of Time Slips.

Anyway, if Windows 10 won't work, know that you can set up the virtual computer and load an old version of Windows so that you can continue using that program.

I also tried converting to Lacerte's TB program and thought that it was quite lacking compared to ATB.

lckent  
I just got a new Win 10 laptop. I'll try to install ATB Monday & let you know what happens.
CPA, Retired

COGS  
Ickent, any luck with the installation? Thanks!

lckent  
Sorry for the late response. Got a little busy. It worked fine, didn't even have to fool around with any compatibility settings.
CPA, Retired

COGS  
Ickent, Sweet! Now I can get new computers and not have to fret about "XP Mode" etc. This is great news!!!!

I should write to the AICPA and ask about buying the rights so I can give the program away. I really don't know how accountants can work efficiently without this program.

kcscpa  
omg ... do you still have a working copy of GoAudit!? My laptop died and I had resigned myself to having to purchase and learn a new software for my audits. Does it work with windows 7? I was afraid it only worked with xp.

I can only find a CD with the 2004 version but I was working with a 2009 version (I think). Can you contact me about getting a copy from you?

PS I really miss ATB

eze  
Has ATB ever run properly??? Are you still playing Atari games?

I'm sorry....I hated that program. It never ran well. For a while it was ATB, ATB Write-up, and ATB Windows....none of them ran well. GoAudit was a little better...it would still crash on you, but at least you had some workpaper features that saved some time.

eze  
Sorry for the ribbing guys/gals....but isn't an MS Excel model better and faster? How do you do a real cashflow statement? Don't you have to lean on XLS or some other spreadsheet to publish a statement anyway?

COGS  
eze, No, Excel is not quicker for trial balance work. Yes, I use Excel for a financial. But quick and dirty accrual to cash, booking entries, etc., nothing beats ATB. The program rocks!

eze  
Just curious, what version are you running? The original iterations were simple and reliable, like 1998-9 I'm thinking, but I found that it just went downhill from there.

We're using ATB 3.04 from 1999 (well, not right now - other clients fish to fry, but it really does work beautifully. My boss looked at a newer version some years ago and was underwhelmed.

COGS  
eze, I have ATB for Windows 2.02. It works flawlessly. Or almost. On rare occasion something my get corrupted in a data file. Usually the repair function fixes it. But really not a big deal at all in the worst case. I had 1 bad data file in about 150 client ATB files this year. Just rolled forward a prior year and back in business with just a little more entry than usual.

Hello Fellow ATB 3 Users.

We should have a 30 year reunion !!!

The ATB 3 program is fantastic. And it has survived so many Microsoft software updates.

The answer if you lose your data is to do the CRISPER routine. Gene editing comes to ATB 3's aid.

The file that gets corrupt is .ATB So it is not the whole program, but open the program and you will see about 15 different files. So set up a new skeleton client with the same client number and name. And save the skeleton client in a separate folder. Then go into the skeleton client and copy the .ATB file. Rename the corrupt .ATB file to .ATB old

Then copy the skeleton .ATB file into the client file you have been using. It is a miracle !!!!!

Okay so send me $5.

Just kidding,

Art

JAD  
Tis the season. If you go to the business operations forum, you will see a thread called trial balance software that is largely about ATB. I just got my ATB working on Windows 10, thanks to the encouragement from others. Copied it over from a Windows XP virtual computer, and it is working fine.

Return to General Accounting