Payroll service bureau software

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Had to be the first to post this forum......lol

Losing my current software provider and looking for something to replace it...don't want to spend more than 2000 per year on the software itself. I have a separate eft processor so just looking for the software. Looking for good solid non-cloud based with good reports. Any suggestions.

I would love a good one to replace the payroll we now do with Quickbooks.

We have used PenSoft for over 10 years. Inexpensive, and works well for small to medium sized companies. Our largest client only has about 40 employees, so not sure how well it would work for larger companies, but don't see any reason it would not. We have about 125 payroll clients, and it is a part time job to handle them easily for one of my staff.
Jim
Pettit Financial Services

Our largest client uses PenSoft and they have about 400 employees. Reports can be customized and I have been able to figure out how to print any report I need with no training on the software.
Kerry Claxton, CPA

Any idea on cost of Pensoft?

I should know, I just renewed it. Ummm.... $750 per year? Something like that. Under $1,000 I think. http://www.pensoft.com/
They charge by the number of employees per any given company with unlimited companys. I think we use the version that lets us do up to 100 employees per company.
Jim

I have demo'd pensoft and find it quite lacking. The dates don't roll automatically which to me is a basic payroll function. The check stub info is horrid as is the reports. I have been working with Susan @ pensoft and although you can customize the data there is no formatting and the reports are difficult to read.

Price is cheap enough but the lack of date rolling is a deal breaker for me. I have about 40 clients with all different start and end dates.

For those using the software and liking it, what am I missing?

I have to admit I haven't even looked at the software myself other than tot print an occasional client check, as one of my many daughters handles the payroll desk. However she is able to quickly handle with a minimum of fuss and bother 125 payroll clients and has had few complaints. I remember setting up the reports was somewhat time consuming as I did that myself many years ago when we started using them. We had used a low end dos program that went out of business, went to Creative Solutions (I think) which was high end, high cost, and totally just about bankrupted us with multiple errors. From there we went to PenSoft, and while it doesn't have a ton of bells and whistle we seem to not have any issues with it. However, I will speak to Lindsey about it, as she is the one that handles day to day issues with it and let you know.
Jim

Thanks Petitfin....I am curious as to her thoughts. I am looking at the stuff my clients see and it is just so lacking. THe checkstubs are just do not have enough info. I tried using the check modifier and got no where on the formatting. It adds data but nothing else. I have sent samples to one of my larger clients and the feedback was that the reports and checks look "mickey mouse" as compared to what they are used to. Looking at Accounting CS Payroll which has a HUGE pricetag in comparison, so want to be sure I am not making a quick decision based on what I am seeing so far.

TaxDude  
I've used Pensoft for a very long time. It's pretty good for the money. As mentioned above, the check stubs aren't great but good enough. The reports are customizable but it's time consuming and there is no way to set up a "Template" report or client to use when setting up new clients, so you have to go through all the customizing every time you set up a new client. I have about 100 payroll clients and my largest client has about 125 employees - it works fine for me. My clients like the simple, easy-to-read reports.

I suppose my biggest complaint is the lack of templates and that they don't have a PDF generator. I have the Adobe program, but it prints each report/check into a separate file which is horrible when trying to email the client a reports package. I spend about $1,400 per year on it. I'd like software with better reports and PDF options, but I haven't been able to find one for a reasonable fee, as stated in the OP.

Dude.....I am so glad now I did not go with them. I just can't spend that time. Especially with some of the other shortfalls of the software. The company seems put out by the request that payrolls dates roll with each new payroll. To me that is standard and I can't imagine a service bureau payroll software not having it. Seems so basic!

I just bought accounting cs payroll from Thomson. Huge bucks but at the end of the day I am gaining back a ton of time, and that is dollars. Fully customizable reports and checks that can be saved as templates and used on each client. I have tons of setup work ahead of me but once it is done I am home free. I will make back my investment by raising fees modestly.....something I have not done in about 5 years so will be no biggie to my client base.

eze  
Just got this email.....just FYI

Accountant Courtesy Notification:
Intuit QuickBooks Payroll Pricing Changes

Dear Eric,

Because you are a valued member of the QuickBooks family, we want to keep you informed of service changes that may affect you or your clients.

We are writing to let you know about the following updates to payroll pricing that will apply to QuickBooks Payroll subscribers.

QuickBooks Standard and Enhanced Desktop Payroll
Annual subscribers will receive notification prior to their renewal date and will be charged the new price at the time of their renewal. Additional fees may vary, depending on your clients' service plans.

Payroll Service Annual Subscription Monthly Subscription
Standard Payroll (effective 8/1/14) $509 per year N/A
Enhanced Payroll, 4 or more employees $479 per year
(effective 8/1/14) $47.90 per month
(effective 9/9/14)
Enhanced Payroll, variable employee fee*(effective 9/9/14) $390 per year, plus $2 per employee per payroll $39 per month, plus $2 per employee per payroll
*Starting in 2013, the pricing for new QuickBooks Payroll customers changed to a base fee plus per-employee fee. Direct deposit for W-2 employees is included in this fee.

QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll for Accountants, effective 9/9/2014
Annual subscribers will receive notification prior to their renewal date and will be charged the new price at the time of their renewal.

Payroll Service Annual Subscription Monthly Subscription
Enhanced Payroll for Accountants $479 per year $47.90 per month
Enhanced Payroll for Accountants (with QuickBooks ProAdvisor membership) $250 per year $25 per month
Direct Deposit, effective 9/9/2014

Payroll Service Per-deposit fee
Direct Deposit and Direct Deposit for 1099 Vendors $1.60 per deposit
Assisted Payroll, effective 10/7/2014

Payroll Service Monthly Subscription
Assisted Payroll $99 per month
We appreciate your business and value the opportunity to serve you.

I also got a pensoft demo & did not like it. I finally decided on software from paysoft, inc. called propay. It runs me about $ 1,300 a year and it is very comprehensive in how it does each payroll. Even even writes the check to pay us each time we process a payroll. You can get a demo from them at http://www.paysoft.com. Has a web pay feature also but not cheap.

I looked at Paysoft and decided against it. It took them 4 tries to get me a demo version that would download. THey are also another small company and I just came from that......they lost their programmer and had to fold, I just can't go thru that again. I ended up with Thomson.....Accounting CS Payroll.....EXPENSIVE, but it will allow me to take my payroll part of my practice to any level I want. At the end of 5 years, my overall cost is not horribly more than I would pay with Paysoft. And Thomson is there when I need them.....never waited on hold more than 10 mins.

dingus  
Hey guys...I would suggest you look into ZenPayroll. You pay by the client, but you literally almost do nothing besides answer a question every so often. Plus, once you get more clients, they give you bulk discounts. I price it into my normal tax/accounting packages, and the realization is really good since they handle impounding the taxes, and prepping and e-filing all tax forms, including W-2's.

I've used Intuit Online Payroll and ADPRun and this is both most cost effective and waaaayyyyyy better.

Return to General Accounting