Intern failed class

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
I am interning at one of the Big 4 in audit. Last semester I failed a class, which has ruined my GPA. The Big 4 firm I am interning at is not yet aware of this. My GPA was around 3.6 and now it is around 2.9. I want to receive an offer for full-time employment so, so, so, so badly. Is there any hope?

If I perform perfectly on the job and form strong relationships with others on my team will they overlook ONE bad grade and give me an offer? Perhaps the offer could be contingent on improving my GPA dramatically (straight As for the rest of school until I graduate)?

Any advice on how to maximize my chances of getting an offer besides being a great intern?

I am so incredibly depressed about this whole situation..

Talk to a partner who you interact with. Tell him what you just said to us.

Frankly  
Back in the day, I failed a class. The univ had a policy whereby you could repeat the class and they would remove the fail from your record. Saved my GPA. Check it out.

chris  
One class created a .7 drop to your GPA? How is that possible unless you only have a single semester under your belt? Or did they change the GPA math since I went to college many years ago?
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

makbo  
I had a high GPA in high school and MBA program. I had a lesser GPA in college. None of it makes a f*&k of difference at this point. So please, don't be depressed.

If you turn your internship into a full-time offer, nobody in this profession will ever, ever, ever, ever, ever care about your bad semester unless it prevents you from graduating. Put your nose to the grindstone, try to learn a few things, and just be a decent human being during your internship.

chris wrote:One class created a .7 drop to your GPA? How is that possible unless you only have a single semester under your belt? Or did they change the GPA math since I went to college many years ago?

He might be talking about the semester GPA.

Coddington  
OP, if you haven't already talked to your partner, please be prepared to explain exactly why you failed the class, what lessons you learned, and how you will avoid the problem in the future. Include specific steps. Even if it takes you out of the running for a Big 4 offer, you can work your way back in. No one looked at my transcripts when I applied to Deloitte after several years of experience.
-Brian

Director of Tax Accounting Methods & Credits
SourceAdvisors.com

Opinions my own.

philly  
I would be up front with the partner you have contact with and explain why you did not do well in the class. If you get a full time offer -great. If you do not it is not the end of the world. I worked for small, regional and big 8 firms in my career. I run a CPA firm that I started 30 years ago.
You never know were your career will end up.

Good luck Tom

chris  
man...Tom has not been back since he posted back in Jan. I hope he's ok and things worked out for him.
Site admin and software developer for TaxProTalk.com and https://TheSiteFactory.com

I lied about my GPA when I applied for jobs after college. No one checked. True story.

Honestly, you might want to avoid the Big 4, since they will pigeonhole. Best thing about Big 4 is the name on your resume, which isn't as prestigious as it was say 10 years ago. I stayed in public until I started my own firm. For those Big 4 people I worked with, they left and couldn't find any non-accounting jobs. They're barely making over 60k in industry as senior accountants. They always call me for accounting help, since they are helpless without Deloitte's moronic manuals....

JAD  
Interesting perspective. I learned so much in my 4 years at PW. I learned about tax, processes, business relationships, how not to behave. I developed a very strong sense of what is moral behavior in a business environment. I began to learn how I wanted to operate in my own business. I think that those few years give me a bit of credibility with some of my clients now that I am on my own. I have that breadth of experience in my background, which I think gives some of my clients comfort.

makbo  
JAD wrote:Interesting perspective. I learned so much in my 4 years at PW. I learned about tax, processes, business relationships, how not to behave. I developed a very strong sense of what is moral behavior in a business environment. I began to learn how I wanted to operate in my own business. I think that those few years give me a bit of credibility with some of my clients now that I am on my own. I have that breadth of experience in my background, which I think gives some of my clients comfort.

Hmm, I could say the same thing about my similar number of years at H&R. Working another few years for another EA helped a lot too.

Return to General Accounting