Payroll service provider recommendations

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
Catcpa  
Hoping someone can recommend a full service payroll service provider with good support. The company has been using Paychex and for reasons that are too numerous to mention, it's time for a change. The company has about 25 employees now but expects significant growth. Employees are located primarily in 3 states but that will also increase so Intuit was ruled out because of the multi state issue and the lack of offerings that a full service payroll company would provide. Ideally the payroll company has an integrated HRIS as well. The company is in the professional services industry.

What payroll providers do your clients use that they like? I'd love to get feedback from actual users rather than just sitting through the sales demos.

Thanks!

As nobody has replied yet, I may as well offer my tuppence worth. We have a couple of clients with Wells Fargo and I do not recommend them. One client has been with ADP for quite some time and they have done OK by her, apart from running salary for the owner of a Schedule C business. They reversed it pretty quickly. We no longer have any clients with PrimePay, but they are pretty responsive. When the last client left them five years ago, they were pretty low tech, though.

As for Paychex, they have two basic services: Core for the small employer, which is where your client probably is now, and MMS, for those with 50 or more employees. That requires the client to be more hands-on. Even with 25 employees, that may suit their needs better, especially in view of their anticipated growth. Then again, if the issues your client has had with Paychex are to do with trust, that may be a non-starter.

Full disclosure: I used to work for Paychex and have fond memories of my time there, so yes, I am biased.

Catcpa  
Thank you SumwunLost for your comments.

WFB- agree, it just wouldn't be robust enough. Same with BofA which is where the co banks
ADP - I will look at them but my concern is that they are no different really than Paychex. I do use ADP's very basic Run platform on another client and have been happy.
Primepay- They have awful employee reviews online which is concerning.

As for Paychex, the co has had so many problems with them. So many that the account worked its way to the branch manager who I believe was genuinely interested in addressing all of the problems and assured the co that their account was valued and that the concerns would be addressed. Not even 3 months later, the final straw came. They forgot to process payroll to the tune of $700k. I'm sure some companies have great luck with Paychex. Unfortunately, that was not the case for this company.

Have you looked at a local payroll service in the area where the main office is located?? Sounds like this client needs someone that can be attentive. A small agency may be the best bet. Big is not always best. I have stolen all my payroll clients away from the big names.

Catcpa  
kbairtax wrote:Have you looked at a local payroll service in the area where the main office is located?? Sounds like this client needs someone that can be attentive. A small agency may be the best bet. Big is not always best. I have stolen all my payroll clients away from the big names.

Agree that big is not always best but the company operates in multiple states and looking to add Canada. They'd like a provider that has more of a national presence. As well, they want a robust client portal that allows them to import payroll.

Return to General Accounting