Marketing literature

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
I advertise in a magazine that is island wide even though I only actually do business on my side of the island. This morning I had a call from someone on the other side of the island who saw my ad. He wanted to know if I serviced his side and I told him I don't travel there but I have clients in several different areas (including on two other islands). He wanted to now if I could send him some literature on my fees, the things I do and don't do, explain to him what tax preparation is, and provide my website. I told him I don't have a website nor do I have the type of literature he was requesting, then told him about the services I do offer. I've had this type of conversation before and it usually answers the question of the person speaking. This person seemed irritated that I didn't have and didn't seem inclined to want to prepare something just for him, after awhile he was just plain annoying and I decided I didn't want him as client anyway.

I'm just wondering what kind of literature some of you might be utilizing to send out to someone making a call like this? BTW, going to the other side of this island is a goodly distance and takes a considerable amount of time, so I just don't do that.

makbo  
actionbsns wrote:He wanted to [k]now if I could send him some literature on my fees, the things I do and don't do, explain to him what tax preparation is, and provide my website. I told him I don't have a website[...]
I'm just wondering what kind of literature some of you might be utilizing to send out to someone making a call like this?

The easiest thing these days is to just have a simple web site. List your basic services (individual, business yes/no, other entity yes/no, specializations), might also state whether you bill by hour or by form.

If you missed it, there is a nice, low-cost, easy solution for building your tax practice web site, http://www.TheSiteFactory.com. :D

[edit - maybe this post belongs in Business Operations sub-forum?]

You could put together a marketing brochure or packet, on glossy paper describing the value of the services you provide with pictures of smiling people. I don't know if I would do that. I'd rather put the time and effort into a website.

And please don't take this comment poorly, but I think your marketing strategy is attracting the clients that you want (or at least is repelling the clients you don't want).

I agree with Makbo and Missingdonut. Set up a website and have it become your sales brochure. Years ago I had a firm brochure made (well more of a firm information packet) that I would send out to prospective clients to give them an idea of what services that I provide and my cost structure. But today I have that information on my website. I have a very basic website but it works.

I'm a sole practitioner and I do no advertising. I do not have a website, although I have considered it. I am not actively trying to grow my practice; however, I do take referrals from existing clients and from friends (just added about 4 in the last couple of months). I have quite a few clients from out of town that either come to me, or we handle things through the mail.

If someone called me, I would be in the same situation as you, and have nothing to send them. If you are trying to grow your practice, that could be an issue. For me, it is not.

irc162  
Account Deactivated
Have you considered setting up a really good linkedin page? My clients are all by referral. Lately, prospective clients are more interested in seeing my linkedin page than my website. It is easier to set up that a website and costs nothing to maintain.

makbo  
irc162 wrote:Have you considered setting up a really good linkedin page? My clients are all by referral. Lately, prospective clients are more interested in seeing my linkedin page than my website. It is easier to set up that a website and costs nothing to maintain.

Soon to be owned by Microsoft, right?

I will set up the occasional connection in LinkedIn if a client requests it. I don't connect with clients on Facebook, even though I have a "business" page associated with my personal account.

actionbsns wrote:he was just plain annoying and I decided I didn't want him as client anyway.

Anyway (as you say) he wasn't really a potential client anyway. He was a potential competitor.

novacpa  
Exactly - he's scoping out Paradise, learning to shave on your beard.

Return to General Accounting