More issues with QB required passwords

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
My client had her MAC computer stolen this weekend, she has no backup but luckily I was there recently and I have a fairly current backup of the QB data file. In the past, and as recent as about a month ago, I was able to restore and open her data file on my PC to QB version 2015 without a password being required. That is not the case today. I checked with the client and she indicates she has to enter her password, which I have, whenever she opens QB. So I entered that password when the restored file asked for it, but the file still will not open. When I get to the screen to open the file, I am not getting a user name request and I don't seem to be able to add that to the screen.

I'm hesitant to do anything to my existing file that might impede my use of it. But I was thinking of setting up the password for Admin, then to try the restore again. Any thoughts on what that might do to my file? Or how I can circumvent this issue?

BTW and FYI, I tried restoring the file through QB 2013 and 2014 also and I still get the issue with the required password but no request for a user name. None of these version have ever required a password. Research on the internet has not provided me with good results either.

I see several people have read this, but evidently not had a similar problem. After spending a lot of time yesterday and worrying about it appropriately overnight, I'm wondering if the back up file might be damaged. Is there a way to repair a back up file on the thumb drive? Once it's been restored, I can't get the file to open so I'm not able to do any kind of restore or repair within the program.

makbo  
If I understand, client was not using password when you made the backup. Since then, client's installation now requires password? That wouldn't affect your backup.

Maybe your copy of QB software had an update installed in the last month that triggers the password requirement? It might be a lot of trouble, but perhaps you could re-install QB and manually apply updates only through a month ago? The <ctl>-1 key shows you the dates of each update applied. I always have to fight QB to keep from applying updates automatically.

At the moment, my QB 2015 does not require passwords, and I have not installed latest updates. My QB 2016 does require password.

Also, don't forget to try opening file while leaving password blank, which used to be acceptable as far as the software was concerned.

Thanks for the help Makbo. The more I work with this, the more I think the file on my thumb is corrupt and that's why I'm having this issue. I've tried everyway I can think of to work it out with no luck. I even went through versions 2013, 2014 and 2015, that don't have password requirements, and I get the same result. Spoke to the client yesterday and told her we'd have to go with my prior backup from late in November, but in this situation, it's better that she only has to re-enter about a month of data and not the whole year. She agreed.

eze  
I'm late to the party...but consider having Intuit unlock the password. It's possible to do that.

Also, you can try to send the file to them and they can try to rebuild the file.

Eric

Return to General Accounting