Processing credit card in QB 2017

Any non-Tax accounting topics go here.
I just came back from my client's office. She recently installed QB 2017, has been processing credit cards within QB for quite some time, but now can't seem to make that work. On the Receive Payments screen there is a box for "Process Credit card", but it is grayed out. I spent an hour searching the program for some box or place that needs to be turned on so the payment can be processed as a credit card payment and then sent to her bank. Nothing logical seems to work. Any ideas?

rwcpa  
Maybe her Intuit Merchant account needs to be linked again? On the top menu, you can find it under Customers, then "Link Payment Service to Company File". That's the first thing I would check. You will need her Merchant Service account user ID and password. Hope that works for you. Good luck

Thanks RWCPA. I just passed along your suggestion to her in an e-mail. It makes sense. We were looking for something that needed to be "turned on", and linking the merchant account is a distinct possibility.

Same client, now it's a few months later and what is happening is very odd. I'm not clear on how she is accepting her payments, in the check register there will be a deposit for $XXX and that clears the bank, then there is an additional entry for the same amount, which is a debit to cash, credit to A/R, the "client" is QuickBooks Customer, in the box for a reference number, is the word RECON. She has no idea where that transaction comes from, so we are accumulating a lot of uncleared deposits that are actually overstating the bank balance. I tried to do a journal entry to offset what was happening, but, to add frustration to this, even though the payment is received, and cleared, it's still showing up on the bank reconciliation.

When I use the find feature and go to the transaction that mysteriously appears, we are at the receive payments screen and much of it is greyed out. I'd like to try deleting that transaction, but I'm afraid the customer's credit card would end up being credited, Any thoughts on what would happen if I tried that? The card has not been charged twice. I ended up in a "Chat" conversation with someone at Intuit and their response was to Google the problem because often other people have had similar problems and have posted solutions. :roll: :lol: I couldn't believe that response.

Return to General Accounting