Efile of 2 returns for same year

Technical topics regarding tax preparation.
swgordon  
I have a client that terminated their S Corp and reverted to a C corp effective 5/2/17. I confirmed with the IRS that they have those dates in their system. I think that you can only efile 1 return per year per EIN. If I efile the S corp return will the Corp return from 5/3/17 - 12/31/17 be rejected if I try to efile that? Anyone have any experience with that? Maybe it is better to just paper file this return with an explanation?

Why the explanation? Won't the dates at the top of page one explain enough?

Keep in mind that the 1120S won't be a final return because you intend on continuing under the same EIN. Saw this go horribly awry once.
~Captcook

swgordon  
ah ok good to know. i was going to mark it final. thanks.

I saw another instance where a return was filed with a part-year date and the IRS automatically changed their fiscal year. I just want to make sure that doesn't happen because then when i file the 5/3 - 12/31 return i will have issues since they will be looking for a 5/3/17 - 5/2/18 return.

swgordon wrote:ah ok good to know. i was going to mark it final. thanks.

I saw another instance where a return was filed with a part-year date and the IRS automatically changed their fiscal year. I just want to make sure that doesn't happen because then when i file the 5/3 - 12/31 return i will have issues since they will be looking for a 5/3/17 - 5/2/18 return.

I had this happen once, but I'm rather certain including a letter wouldn't change much. In my instance, it took several phone calls to get it resolved, but I never had to send anything further because IRS had all the proper information initially.
~Captcook

Efile one and paper file the other?

swgordon  
I called the IRS today. They said the they were not 100% sure and I would need to speak to their technical dept. I ended up efiling so I will just efile the next one and if it gets rejected I can paper file.

Return to Taxation